Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny53691 View Post
The only thing bad about that would be that you'd probably have to repaint them twice a year to keep them looking "bright" with the weathering.
^ True, but that would still be fairly cheap and easy to do, even for 24 holes with dual pads, especially if local players/clubs were willing to pitch in. I wonder if it's worth the extra cost to use spray paint made for striping lines in parking lots and such?

Scarp hit on a key factor that I'm a big fan of when it comes to tees, markers, anything course related: maintainability. Think of the course years down the road - how easy will things be to keep up and replace, and what costs will be involved? Anyone who's played their fair share of courses knows, the more elaborate it is:

1) The more likely it is to be defaced or otherwise vandalized - make a tee stand out somehow and someone will probably do something stupid.
2) Courses change over time, and things deteriorate. What will it cost to repair/replace and who's going to do it?

I'm not saying mixing dyes into the tees and nice signs don't look good (at least initially), but IMHO:
low tech, low cost, low maintenance is the way to go, and much easier to sell to decision makers when it comes to public courses.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm not saying mixing dyes into the tees and nice signs don't look good (at least initially), but IMHO:
low tech, low cost, low maintenance is the way to go, and much easier to sell to decision makers when it comes to public courses.
I completely agree. It seems like you always have to plan on fixing something after it's been vandalized. If it's in a nice park where there is a lot of traffic, I MAY consider something like this. For the most part, it seems like unless it's a private course, you're better off just keeping it simple where it doesn't catch the eye of some punk kid.