Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
I saw a little of that other thread, but I haven't been there recently. I have a real aversion to anything that looks or feels unnatural, and elevated baskets are in that category for me.
[devil's advocate]
What's natural looking and feeling about baskets, level teepads, whether concrete or gravel, tee signs, and clear fairways and greens cut through woods?[/devil's advocate]
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
[devil's advocate]
What's natural looking and feeling about baskets, level teepads, whether concrete or gravel, tee signs, and clear fairways and greens cut through woods?[/devil's advocate]
Dear Mr. Advocate,

I suppose we could go there, if we wanted natural-looking nature instead of natural-looking courses.

It comes down to what's idealistic vs. what's realistic. We kind of need baskets and tee pads and fairways. And, to be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't use elevated baskets or artificial OB or whatever else. I just have a preference for a "natural" look when I have that option.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 117
John, how do you feel about baskets at different heights throughout a course? Not extremely elevated baskets like the other thread, but baskets that vary from "standard" by maybe a foot (or 2) lower to a foot higher?

Would that be a good thing for the game? Or is the game better served by striving for uniformity of basket height?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
John, how do you feel about baskets at different heights throughout a course? Not extremely elevated baskets like the other thread, but baskets that vary from "standard" by maybe a foot (or 2) lower to a foot higher?

Would that be a good thing for the game? Or is the game better served by striving for uniformity of basket height?
For starters, I think the game is better served with occasional baskets on slopes. That way, you sometimes putt up and you sometimes putt down (and you sometimes carry downhill if you miss). Your approach shot determines what kind of putt you'll have, not the height of the basket.

Now, that doesn't mean that you just find a slope and stick a basket on it. You'd want try to ensure that the best approaches get the most desirable look at the pin, etc.

Last week I was working on a new course (the first HouckDesign course in Washington state -- can't say where just yet). It's on an old ball golf course, and it offers several pin locations that I like even better than just a slope.

The existing bunkers make for pin positions where maybe part of the green is a nice flat area, part of the green is a gradual slope, and part of the green is bunker (everybody's putting up, or maybe up and over the lip of the bunker). When this course is done, there will be some holes with bunker in front of the pin, some with bunker behind, and some with bunker on either side. I think they will be the most interesting greens I've ever done and will create situations where you'll really want to hit a particular part of the green.

Right now, that's the best solution I've seen. Of course, I'll keep looking for something better.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Last week I was working on a new course (the first HouckDesign course in Washington state -- can't say where just yet). It's on an old ball golf course, and it offers several pin locations that I like even better than just a slope.

The existing bunkers make for pin positions where maybe part of the green is a nice flat area, part of the green is a gradual slope, and part of the green is bunker (everybody's putting up, or maybe up and over the lip of the bunker). When this course is done, there will be some holes with bunker in front of the pin, some with bunker behind, and some with bunker on either side. I think they will be the most interesting greens I've ever done and will create situations where you'll really want to hit a particular part of the green.

Right now, that's the best solution I've seen. Of course, I'll keep looking for something better.
There is an old ball golf course near me...I've approach the county that owns the property about Disc Golf (they're considering making it a park and continue to mow every-other week) and I have thought that the existing bunkers would make for some great greens for Disc Golf.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Very interesting ideas on cool DG greens!

I suppose you would have to replace the sand in the bunkers to make things work long term.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
why would you take the sand out? that's part of the reason bunkers don't just collect water like crazy. i've always thought intentionally building bunkers on courses was something i'd like to see more of. to me it's much more interesting than to have a hole on a green than a mound with a basket on it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Dear Mr. Advocate,

I suppose we could go there, if we wanted natural-looking nature instead of natural-looking courses.

It comes down to what's idealistic vs. what's realistic. We kind of need baskets and tee pads and fairways.
While baskets are, by far, the target of choice, object targets were in use well before the invention of the pole hole and continue to be approved for sanctioned play; and level teepads, while preferable for many reasons, are by no means necessary.

Quote:
I just have a preference for a "natural" look when I have that option.
"Natural" or "conventional"?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM

My wonderful wife has posted photos of the new course, which will be in Monroe, Washington. Former ball golf course that eventually became a 9-hole "executive" course. Really pretty property with mounds and bunkers and huge fir trees. A couple small ponds on the backside, and great mountain views pretty much everywhere.

The owner is great -- it'll be a private course with a nice clubhouse -- and in the two weeks we were there recently, we got to meet most of the neighbors, who were all great. Many of the neighbors bought homes there in order to be on the course, but it closed 6-7 years ago, shortly after most of them moved in. At least now they'll be living on a golf course again.

The property will need a good deal of work before it opens; in particular, it's going to need a lot of new trees. We will, of course, let everyone know when it's ready to go.

The pictures are up at the HouckDesign Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HouckDesign?ref=hl

Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 34
Steve West said a couple of years ago... "Two signs of a fun design: an evil grin on your face, and pros whining." The pros whining thing is really getting to me.

Disc Side of Heaven Rec Course #18. 408' from White Tee, 435' from Blue Tee' Up hill about 30' in elevation, PDGA guidelines say it's a Par 4. (Right now it is playing at 4.07 strokes by Men's Pro and Men's Advanced players)

The only way to reach the green on your approach shot is from right to left. The basket sits about three feet from a massive oak and on the other side of the oak the land drops off about 10' down. Right now there is a very small tree (about 3 inches in diameter) on the opposite side of the massive oak about two feet from the basket.

The IDEA is to NOT attack the basket on your approach shot, but to attack the right side of the 'green'. If you land your approach anywhere on the right side of the basket (simple hyzer approach) you have a completely clear shot to putt from. If you land there 10-15-even 25 feet to the right you have an open putt for your birdie 3. If you go short, you are down the gully. If you go long you have the small 3" tree in line with your putt. If you go left you have the gully and the massive oak in the way.

Placement golf. Right?

Everyone wants to cut down the small tree so they can attack the basket for a "drop in 3". It is very surprising to me to find out that some of these really good local pros have "never considered attacking the right side of the green". They only attack the basket and then get ticked off when they go deep.

John, I would be very interested to you thoughts on this subject.

Thank you-

Brad