Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have to speak up about a recent selah review. Good review except for the complaint in the cons that the pars from the red tees were to easy and should be lowered. The reviewer complained that they got a 9 under from the red tees so this was evidence that the pars should be lowered. I have several problems with this. First, John Houck is widely known as the best, most experienced, most detail oriented, etc., course designer there is. If he places a red tee, he doesn't do it arbitrarily, he knows the exact distance to the basket and the obstacles guarding the basket. If he makes a red tee, it is an appropriate challenge for a red player who has a rating of 850 as stated on this pdga document. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf
Also, Red tees are the easiest tees according to pdga guidelines. If you shoot too low on the red tees it just means you had a better than 850 rated round and you may need more of a challenge. The beauty of Selah is that if the red tees are too easy for you there are blue tees. If you get 9 under on the blue tees I will not complain if you ask for more of a challenge.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Newbie View Post
I have to speak up about a recent selah review. Good review except for the complaint in the cons that the pars from the red tees were to easy and should be lowered. The reviewer complained that they got a 9 under from the red tees so this was evidence that the pars should be lowered. I have several problems with this. First, John Houck is widely known as the best, most experienced, most detail oriented, etc., course designer there is. If he places a red tee, he doesn't do it arbitrarily, he knows the exact distance to the basket and the obstacles guarding the basket. If he makes a red tee, it is an appropriate challenge for a red player who has a rating of 850 as stated on this pdga document. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf
Also, Red tees are the easiest tees according to pdga guidelines. If you shoot too low on the red tees it just means you had a better than 850 rated round and you may need more of a challenge. The beauty of Selah is that if the red tees are too easy for you there are blue tees. If you get 9 under on the blue tees I will not complain if you ask for more of a challenge.
I also said it wasn't a big deal and I still gave both courses a 5/5. No need to complain about an opinion. Par makes no difference in how a course is played.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by championlog22 View Post
I also said it wasn't a big deal and I still gave both courses a 5/5. No need to complain about an opinion. Par makes no difference in how a course is played.
True.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 117
User cc0049 recently updated Creekside to "Moderately Hilly & Moderately Wooded". Hadn't we agreed here that it is Mostly Flat? Also, I don't know what it was before, but Moderately Wooded also seems a stretch for Creekside.

Shall we change it to Flat and Open?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 39
I would say it has a good mix of holes, with some being flat and somewhat open, and some being hilly and wooded. I would think it to be hard to classify it either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
User cc0049 recently updated Creekside to "Moderately Hilly & Moderately Wooded". Hadn't we agreed here that it is Mostly Flat? Also, I don't know what it was before, but Moderately Wooded also seems a stretch for Creekside.

Shall we change it to Flat and Open?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Creekside is definitely flat and open, no way it falls into the "moderately" category on either of those.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Creekside is definitely flat and open, no way it falls into the "moderately" category on either of those.
Yeah, in looking back through the thread, almost everybody agrees on Flat, especially for Creekside. There's some debate on woodedness for Creekside, but I would easily lean toward Open myself.

I shall make the change.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Cool. I think that if you had only played Texas courses you might be able to see it as moderately wooded, but if you've traveled to different parts of the country Creekside is very open by comparison to most courses.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 106
It is hard to classify it either way, but I know that when you put it as flat and open, the DGCR round ratings are WAY off. So using the rating system as a guide, it should be classified as moderately in both categories. My opinion. Don't usually waste much time looking through the forums, so sorry I missed that there had been discussion on this already. Happened to catch this today.

Example: Shot 15 under par 68 on creekside shorts and it rated that as 959. Something is VERY off about that. When you change the course to moderately wooded and hilly, the round rating is much more accurate.

Last edited by cc0049; 09-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 106
Actually, the change just needs to be from lightly wooded to moderately wooded to make the ratings reasonable. Mostly flat is fine.