Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Beating discs pollutes the earth

It came to my mind that when we hit a tree and chip a disc the plastic is then left somewhere in nature. As we beat up our trusty discs, those little chunks of plastic must go somewhere in the world and this is an unfortunate truth for our game. I never thought about it until now but we all like a nicely beaten disc and this comes with a virtually unseen pollution.

I detest littering and it never crossed my mind that pieces of our discs are out there on our favorite courses just sitting for all eternity. I wish there was something we could do about this and as many disc golfers are Earth-friendly I think we all can agree. We don't intend to pollute with our disc shavings but it happens, regardless. It would be nice if discs were somehow Green, but I have no idea how that would work.

So anyway, I just wanted to bring this problem to attention. During my last round there was trash everywhere on my favorite course, literally within 50 feet of a trash can in most cases. I absolutely cannot stand litter and now I have to disc knowing that little pieces of my discs are going to be stuck in nature forever
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Those bits of plastic can be a problem, but nowhere near the problem that microbeads have become

http://woodsend.org/2013/02/consumer...-contaminants/
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
It came to my mind that when we hit a tree and chip a disc the plastic is then left somewhere in nature. As we beat up our trusty discs, those little chunks of plastic must go somewhere in the world and this is an unfortunate truth for our game. I never thought about it until now but we all like a nicely beaten disc and this comes with a virtually unseen pollution.

I detest littering and it never crossed my mind that pieces of our discs are out there on our favorite courses just sitting for all eternity. I wish there was something we could do about this and as many disc golfers are Earth-friendly I think we all can agree. We don't intend to pollute with our disc shavings but it happens, regardless. It would be nice if discs were somehow Green, but I have no idea how that would work.

So anyway, I just wanted to bring this problem to attention. During my last round there was trash everywhere on my favorite course, literally within 50 feet of a trash can in most cases. I absolutely cannot stand litter and now I have to disc knowing that little pieces of my discs are going to be stuck in nature forever
I've never thought of this. My God! Polar bears are probably drowning because of this!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
This has got to be a joke. Tiny plastic shavings.....really? Do you also worry about the tiny pieces of rubber that come off your tires on the drive to the course?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Save the earth and quit disc golf.
you know how much energy you waste looking at DGCR for a year
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 15
Oh please... If you have bought ONE Tupperware container that is no longer with you, you have polluted more in that one action than your disc beating has contributed.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I'm 100% sure that a disc nicking a tree and poluting the ground does less enviormental damage that tearing down the trees for basketball courts, tennis courts, softball fields, soccer fields, park buildings, playgrounds, bathrooms and many other standard things founds in parks.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
This has got to be a joke. Tiny plastic shavings.....really? Do you also worry about the tiny pieces of rubber that come off your tires on the drive to the course?
Yea this is a joke. Thousands of people chunking discs against trees doesn't add up to trash on the course? And yes, tire rubber is also pollution, too. I guess I care enough to say something about it.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 62
I would be more concerned about beer bottles left everywhere

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
I would think that the chunk taken out of the tree is going to do more environmental damage (as in leading to the tree's death) than any tiny chunk taken out of the disc.