Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
This is like having half a broken beer bottle sticking out of your eye, but being worried about the tiny splinter in your finger tip.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Contact this guy, I'm sure he'll help spread the word for you:

Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
I'm killing the planet by disc golfing? Guess I'll start cutting myself again.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Eagle Member

I'm gonna guess that bottled water is a greater planetary scourge than nicked discs.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Yea this is a joke. Thousands of people chunking discs against trees doesn't add up to trash on the course? And yes, tire rubber is also pollution, too. I guess I care enough to say something about it.
You should care about something more significant, perhaps the Pacific Plastic Gyre. You're talking about something that you can't even see. If you're that worried about it, recycle all your plastic discs and throw Flywood...

http://youtu.be/rld0KDcan_w&fs=1" width="644" height="390" wmode="transparent">http://youtu.be/rld0KDcan_w&fs=1" />Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click http://youtu.be/rld0KDcan_w">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Last edited by DISCenchanted; 07-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Actually, the disc pollutes the environment far more before it touches your hand, then even burying an entire disc into the ground. Consider what is needed for creating the discs. Creating/extracting the materials, creation of the molding machine, running the equipment, transporting the plastic. Now, consider what is needed for all of that stuff, energy and water. You would be amazed a just how much water and energy it takes to create even something as small as a disc. Every step in the process uses energy and water, and every step in the process leaves behind pollutants. I read an article in school about just how much energy and water it took for basic everyday goods like water bottles or even brushing your teeth. You never think about the coal burned for the electricity used in the creation and manufacturing of every day life, but it is staggering.

Google 'pollution of molding plastics' and you'll find all sorts of information about the 'cradle to the grave' energy uses and pollution that you would never even consider without thinking about it.

Though to be realistic, driving to the course is probably far worse for the environment than throwing a few discs. That's not even considering how much energy and pollution it takes to make your clothes, create/fix your food, or even manufacture the bed you sleep on at night.

Last edited by DeadEye; 07-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Hemp discs are the future!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
If this is something the OP has seriously thought about, I think it's time to worry about something else.

Considering where and how this takes place will have little or no impact at all..

The bigger concern should be the amount of ciggy buts, beer cans, plastic bags and general all around trash that is left on a course..

M2C
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCenchanted View Post
You should care about something more significant, perhaps the Pacific Plastic Gyre. You're talking about something that you can't even see. If you're that worried about it, recycle all your plastic discs and throw Flywood...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Fixed your embed link

Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Fixed your embed link
TYVM!