Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
What are the benefits of a runup?

I throw everything from a standstill. I line up my shoulders and point the disc where I want to throw it, pick an imaginary target somewhere nearer than where I want the disc to land, but which the disc must pass through in order for it to hit the desired landing zone. I then get into position, which means turning my back, closing my hips, shifting my weight back a little, and throw.

My drives are around 320, mids around 275-300, putters around 250-275. But that's only when everything works. I do get the glitches.. When my body doesn't seem to know what to do first and my throw is a spin rather then a weight shift/lever action. I feel like I can throw farther from a standstill once I put the pieces together that I'm learning.. I've been playing for about 7 months so obviously I'm still thinking about actions separately and it's not all fluid. I don't care about distance so much; most of the courses I play are heavily wooded and reward accuracy.

So what would a runup add?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 60
Runup = more momentum = more energy imparted to the disc = more distance
Correct me if I'm wrong
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...es/mored.shtml
Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 PM

I would also say a run up or an x-step is a good method of closing your hips more and getting a farther reachback. But if you aren't concerned with distance, I don't know if a runup would really help you if you are used to standstill. A lot of players I know don't do a standstill simply because they aren't used to it, but a standstill is less body motion, so it should be more consistent, improving accuracy.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
A proper run up/ x step will get your body in the correct positions to generate more power and provide momentum.

For me, someone who does not have all that good of technique, the x-step is still beneficial for timing and feel. And I like to think it helps some with positioning, momentum, and generating power.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
Ask Terry Gallops.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
I think the run-up is all about generating momentum in order to transfer greater energy to the disc... distance. Proper technique, x-step, etc, are important, but they're really just about the mechanics of allowing you to get a clean release without losing the power generated and putting the disc where you want it to go on when you run-up, but the run-up itself, is about distance. If it not for distance, there's no need to run-up.

If you can get the desired distance for your shot from a standstill, or with one or two well controlled steps before your release, then that's what I'd advise as the vast majority of players will be far more able to execute the line they want that way.

I generally take a true run-up with n ax-step for 200+, give or take (depending on the shot, terrain, etc). Closer than that, and I'm typically taking a couple of steps with my Challenger. Even just a couple of steps is enough to generate far more power on a throw than a complete standstill.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-28-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
About 15%.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
A slow run-up will turn a high-power standstill shot into a marginal power run-up shot. The decrease in effort required means an increase in accuracy. So, it's not all about distance.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
^ Agreed - the reduction in effort, due to the additional power gained through stepping into the shot, can definitely result in better accuracy. But why is the additional power required in the first place? Because you're too far from the target to reach it very comfortably from a standstill. At this point it becomes a bit of a circular argument.

How does a run-up lead to increased accuracy? Because it allows you to generate the power needed to get the disc the desired distance with less effort. With less effort comes increased accuracy.

Inside the circle (where accuracy is paramount) no one runs up. The farther one is from the target, the more likely it they'll use a run-up, or at least a couple of steps.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
the only point for the runup is the turning of the hips and the easier reachback. The speed added is neglectable. It's all about bringing your hips and back and shoulders into the throw.

As sidewinder said, it adds around 15% distance.