Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM
The Whole Flipping Shed

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Titanic_Sinks
Set a personal best!

Yep, new personal best on the course today! I've now taken 6 Yellow Jacket stings in one sitting! Woooo!

It happened on the last hole of a decent solo round. Tried to help someone find their lost disc and I must have disturbed the nest...they stung me throughout the hole...I guess that's what I get for helping someone.

Either way, I DOUBLED my previous amount for stings in one sitting. A record is a record, dammit!

I know records are meant to be broken, but you guys oughtta do yourselves a favor and let me hang on to this title for the season.

On a serious note, these bastards are everywhere and they will not hesitate to ruin your day. I'm lucky enough to not have any allergies, but I know a lot of you do. I saw the other thread about the guy who died (very sad), so please, please be careful. Good luck out there guys.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHFH
Sorry to hear that. I saw a Facebook post the other day that a player had died from bee stings recently. Terrible
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Ouch! I hate those bastards. And don't believe the old wives tale that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Yellow jackets will sting just for the hell of it.

As far as I'm concerned you can keep the record. And I applaud you for it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 60
Not to try and outdo you, but I got 10 stings on one hole once. It sucked. I had apparently kicked a nest without even realizing it searching for my disc. I basically looked like Steve-O in Jackass 3 running around like an idiot.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHFH
During a round last summer at Whispering Falls I stepped on a nest and got swarmed by what seemed like hundreds of yellow jackets. To make matters worse I'm severely allergic to bee stings, and was stung about fifteen to twenty times. Luckily I keep an Epipen and Benadryl in my bag and was with a friend who knew about all of this and gave me my shot of adrenaline and a handful of pills until he got me to the ER.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
These stories scare me, can't wait for the first freeze. Yellow jackets are nasty, and will sting for no reason. In the late summer and fall they literally get drunk and sting whatever. I never had a big problem with stings until last year. I've been somewhat allergic and ended up in the ER last year for a sting on my hand. This yellow jacket chased me down and the stinger (Yes it was a yellow jacket, not a honey bee) actually got stuck in my hand, and then of course I did the worst thing and pulled it out as a knee jerk reaction and squeezed the rest of the venom into my hand. My hand ballooned to 3 times the size it should be and couldn't move my fingers and then the reaction spread to the rest of my body and started having my airways swelling. If I get stung in the neck or face I'm gonna be in some trouble. Unfortunately I'm allergic to benadryl, but I do have an epipen kit in my car now.

Lately I've been freaked out by deer flies because they look and act like yellow jackets and they have been harassing me all summer. I was at the Blockhouse and thought I disturbed a nest of yellow jackets and ran back to my truck, and the deer flies pursued me, and I thought I was in a scene of Cujo with them hitting against my windows.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 25
I stepped on a nest while fishing in the Georgia mountains. After 20 plus stings (in like 2 seconds) I had to jump into the creek and lay under water through several breaths. Those things were savage!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
I hit a tree once not realizing there was a hornets nest in the tree. When I went to take my put I was immediately attacked. I ended up with stings in 26 different locations. Although hornets sting more than once in the same location so I don't know how many total sting I got. The one thing to take away from the experience was a few holes earlier a couple guys let me play through and they caught up with me after I was running around like a little girl trying to get all the hornets off me. One of those guys was extremely allergic. I would much rather get stung by a colony of hornets than someone else go into shock from a bee sting.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 5
Uh, these stories suck. I've never been stung by a wasp(bees, yes) but in the fall these mofos(wasps I mean) bite! Like ants, but bigger ones. They go crazy.

I have a friend who almost died on a stung, his heart stopped for a while then, because lack of oxygen, so I know it's not a matter of joke.

We have a nest on a local course and we step on it every time(multiple nests I think), but we never get stung. Maybe b/c it's night when we play?