Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I just looked and my recent rounds the ratings seemed a bit more accurate, but when I clicked to view all to see some of the older rounds they all changed to n/a. Now even the most recent rounds are showing n/a.
I think timg might be re-running the script that sets the rating for every round in the DGCR database.. it could take a while.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 174
Throwing Style: RHBH
Got it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Eagle Member

Historical rounds (and thus player ratings) should now be fixed and updated to the current formulas. Hopefully we have a better handle on non-18-hole course round ratings now, although there may well still be some outliers.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 70
Round ratings are looking really good! A few of my recent rounds were looking a little low and high and both ends have come back towards where they should be. Great work gents.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Eagle Member

Alright, the newest SSE formulas should be working properly now, and all SSE's and round/player ratings are updated too. This does *not* mean, however, that some courses won't still have SSE's that don't match up with 'real' SSA data.. so if anyone comes across anything that looks amiss, please let us know!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Seems like a good time to make this post again. The SSE works pretty well for most courses but won't work for all courses. If your local course has any of the following: lots of artificial OB, is really short, has ~9 holes, has massive hills, has mountain lions that eat discs, etc. The SSE may not be that accurate in those cases.
Thanks for the DGCR ratings. Cool tool. Any plans to have an OB factor in the ratings calc? I changed the course to Heavily wooded and got more accurate ratings, but that doesn't represent the course correctly. Woods factor for that course has since been changed back to moderate.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 239
Which course are you referring to?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain View Post
Thanks for the DGCR ratings. Cool tool. Any plans to have an OB factor in the ratings calc? I changed the course to Heavily wooded and got more accurate ratings, but that doesn't represent the course correctly. Woods factor for that course has since been changed back to moderate.
timg needs to give the official answer on this, but I will chime in on 2 things.

The foliage description (Lightly, Moderately, and Heavily wooded) is much more valuable to most for describing how the course feels and how shady it is than for its effect on SSE and Player Ratings. timg has stated several times that he will change things back to the appropriate value if users change it to make adjustments to SSE & Player Ratings.

We have discussed adding a "Technicality" field to act as an adjustment like you are suggesting. "Technicality" would cover high amounts of OB, very punishing greens (high roll-away potential), and lots of short fairway segments (as in 300' L-shaped holes). These are the elements that bring the average throw length down that cannot be captured by the SSE formulas that are currently based solely on course length and foliage. I have no idea on where timg's head is at in regards to implementing something like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 239
The technicality field is already part of the system, it's just a private admin field that I can adjust as needed.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Cool!