Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
It kinda turns into a big loop. City doesn't want to put a lot of resources into the disc golf course because it is not used by many people. This is understandable. Disc golfers don't want to play the course because it is never maintained. Also understandable. If there isn't a group available to volunteer to mow/trim it, and the city won't do it, I don't really have any ideas for you.

Hopefully you can get the city to mow it down once as the grass quits growing so you'll have a few months of use.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 29
P&R mows and our KCFDC members volunteer to clean up and maintain the courses.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
IMO, you along with some friends and family may have to do an initial cleaning of the course. If its too overgrown and not cost feasible for the city because you are the only one playing, the city may decide to remove the course instead. Perhaps you could reach out to a church or community group (Rotary club, Lions club, VFW) and they could help with the clean up and promotion of dg in the community.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Always check with the city/county BEFORE you gather volunteers to mow or clean up. They may have insurance restrictions that won't allow citizens to operate equipment on the property (or they may require drug screens for equipment operators). Insurance rules generally suck but it's the sign of the times...
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
Brickyard Bayou in Gulfport MS has this problem. Its a bootleg course[no city support, but they're OK with it being there] in an old neighborhood bought out by the feds due to hurricane flooding. It gets mowed by the city, but only every month or so, nowhere near enough to deal with the berserk growth of grasses there. So my buds who put the course in get about 7-14 days of play before it becomes a disc hunt in the fairways.
The city did allow us to prune the trees, azaleas and other residential shrubbery still present so as to make what will eventually be a very beautiful, manicured course.
My friends did improve the situation somewhat by befriending the mower operators, giving them some discs, inviting them to play, a cold drink, etc. Now when the mowers arrive they often ask my buddies what they want cut and where.
Fortunately, when I'm visiting in the winter, the growth is off and I get a lot of rounds in.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 08-15-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 93
We have a fabulous relationship with the parks dept. in Jefferson City, MO. They mow at least once a week in all the open area and our club does the rest. We trim trees and weed eat and mow the tightly wooded areas. We have work parties every other month and before tournaments to fine tune everything. We also pick up trash and move the full trash bins to the road and replace them with empties when they show up.

We're working on a second course now and I don't expect anything to change.

GOOD LUCK! Recruit some help and show the city you're willing to help out if they'll do the hard stuff.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Its a pretty awesome situation if you can actually meet with the mowing crew. Once they are onboard they tend to enjoy shaping fairways and landing areas instead of just straight line mowing.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountg View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Its just way too much for just me. I estimated today the mowing a weedeating and trimming done to make the course look decent again (and not have the ENTIRE course be a disc losing hazard) would take one person at least 3 or 4 days. Not to mention having to maintain it.. It is waaaaay out of control. I was lucky there was a few holes that run through the main park so they are still maintained.
In Charlotte we do that Daily. Its the Park's responsibility but when they drop the ball or don't care.. Either you let it go or you do something about it. Dont be the person that turns a blind eye.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 4
So...I went to the course today to search for my disc some more today, and As I pulled up, the Parks and Rec truck was leaving but I couldn't stop them in time to talk. They didn't do anything today so Im guessing (hoping) they were at least scoping out the situation. The problem is the overgrowth is literally too much for just me to fix myself. I don't have the time nor equipment for such an undertaking. These are JUNGLE-LIKE fairways. I took it upon myself to remove ONE huge bush the other day and that took like 30-45 minutes (no equipment like i said, had to pull it out peice by peice by hand) and that was probably 1/50th of what actually needs done. The pictures on this site look way better maintained than it is now, So I know it has been done at some point, But Right now the course plays like this...

Hole1- Good. (In the park area still)
Hole 2-3 -Still Good, could use mowing but still playable and not bad at all.
Hole 4-5 -Absolutely HORRIBLE. Even a good throw gets lost here if it isn't an ace.
Hole 6 - Starts in a mowed area, ends in a mowed area, but your shooting over high grass, eh.
Hole 7 -Good. (My favorite Hole.) (back in the park area so its maintained.)
Hole 8- Good. Could use some mowing but its not even worth it, its good enough.
Hole 9- Good in theory, but a bad shot is killer punishment. Its open enough but an anny will lose a disc for hours.

10-18 are alternate tees for the first 9, although 18 is at a worse spot for losing discs than 9.

So 4,5,13,14,18 are all dreadful to play. 6 and 15 need work, but its not the end of the world with them.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Dude, Petersburg is only 20 minutes from Vincennes and Prides Creek is immaculate.

Also, you can make the trip to Evansville and Henderson. Lots happening down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountg View Post
So...I went to the course today to search for my disc some more today, and As I pulled up, the Parks and Rec truck was leaving but I couldn't stop them in time to talk. They didn't do anything today so Im guessing (hoping) they were at least scoping out the situation. The problem is the overgrowth is literally too much for just me to fix myself. I don't have the time nor equipment for such an undertaking. These are JUNGLE-LIKE fairways. I took it upon myself to remove ONE huge bush the other day and that took like 30-45 minutes (no equipment like i said, had to pull it out peice by peice by hand) and that was probably 1/50th of what actually needs done. The pictures on this site look way better maintained than it is now, So I know it has been done at some point, But Right now the course plays like this...

Hole1- Good. (In the park area still)
Hole 2-3 -Still Good, could use mowing but still playable and not bad at all.
Hole 4-5 -Absolutely HORRIBLE. Even a good throw gets lost here if it isn't an ace.
Hole 6 - Starts in a mowed area, ends in a mowed area, but your shooting over high grass, eh.
Hole 7 -Good. (My favorite Hole.) (back in the park area so its maintained.)
Hole 8- Good. Could use some mowing but its not even worth it, its good enough.
Hole 9- Good in theory, but a bad shot is killer punishment. Its open enough but an anny will lose a disc for hours.

10-18 are alternate tees for the first 9, although 18 is at a worse spot for losing discs than 9.

So 4,5,13,14,18 are all dreadful to play. 6 and 15 need work, but its not the end of the world with them.