Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 42
Forehand I started just over 300' and was (spraying all over the place) just over 420' within 6 months. I became a Primarily standstill backhand player after my first year and it took about a year to get 350', and another couple years to get consistently in the low-mid 400s, where I still reside. My distance has very minimally improved the last year or two, but my accuracy and consistency is up a lot.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Courses Played: 31
I started at under 200' RHBH 8 weeks ago. I practiced literally every day since then and can now average 350'. I can reach 400' with my D4 when the wind is perfect but I really don't see myself ever reaching my original goal, which is 500'. I don't believe my stature will allow me to do that. I'm 29, 5'6" and 155 lbs and I don't think my arms are long enough to get the whip needed for that distance. =(
Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Birdie Member

You've doubled your distance in 8 weeks but you don't think you will ever add another 100'? Man if I had that attitude I would've maxed out at 250 about a year ago
Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
You've doubled your distance in 8 weeks but you don't think you will ever add another 100'? Man if I had that attitude I would've maxed out at 250 about a year ago
I think it's just me being a realist. I grew up playing a lot of sports, I used to be a pretty good skateboarder and I also went through a juggling phase with my best tricks being with 5 juggling balls. (Nerd, I know lol) I'm pretty coordinated and I feel that I'm really close to the perfect RHBH throw and if I ever reach it, it'll give me a maximum distance of around 425'. With my small stature, that's all I think my body will allow me to throw. You have to know that a taller person's body will give them advantages over a shorter person, right? Imagine if there were 2 people with the exact same skill level and form. One was 6' and the other was 5'6". Do you think that their throwing distance would be the same? I don't think so. =/
Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBIII View Post
I think it's just me being a realist. I grew up playing a lot of sports, I used to be a pretty good skateboarder and I also went through a juggling phase with my best tricks being with 5 juggling balls. (Nerd, I know lol) I'm pretty coordinated and I feel that I'm really close to the perfect RHBH throw and if I ever reach it, it'll give me a maximum distance of around 425'. With my small stature, that's all I think my body will allow me to throw. You have to know that a taller person's body will give them advantages over a shorter person, right? Imagine if there were 2 people with the exact same skill level and form. One was 6' and the other was 5'6". Do you think that their throwing distance would be the same? I don't think so. =/
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Birdie Member

Well of course a taller lankier person can build more leverage. I'm just sayin it's been like two months bro don't give up now lol... Also I think McBeth is like 5'8" and he doesn't seem to have a problem with distance
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
I've had the luxury most people haven't had when it comes to watching my development grow. I started playing when I was a toddler throwing wildly while playing with my uncles. I haven't stopped playing since then & by the age of 13 I was throwing sidearm, backhand & tomahawk & was maxing out around 300ft backhand. I started taking disc golf very seriously at around 15 when I attended a couple of clinics & acquired as much knowledge I could from good local players. Around the same time I joined a league at my local course & started doing tourneys. At that time I was hitting 350-375ft max distance with my backhand. I've kept up practiced a lot from then until now & now I can throw 475ft backhand pretty much on command. On a very good throw from me I can hit 500ft backhand & I can consistently get around 375ft sidearm. The things that helped me out the most was playing rounds with people better than me that were very open with their knowledge & doing a lot of field work. I tried to emulate my backhand style after Feldberg & my forehand after Big Jerm.

Here are a few videos that have some good info
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I could sometimes still reach my old distance. In my 50s, new disc technology masked my decline; since about 52 I've been declining faster than the manufacturers can cover me.
I'm on the backside of 52 right now. I know that this is it. I feel it every time I play. I'll never get more out of my discs. This is a fact. That's why I practice putting every day.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
I had slow and steady improvement with some plateaus and jumps for the first 7 or so years I played. I got to the point where I was pretty consistently throwing 450 and occasionally breaking 500 with quite a bit of field work. I had a couple injuries and lost some distance for a while, now I've been back throwing 425ish most days for the last couple years, I haven't had as much time or motivation to spend time at the practice field rather than going to play a round.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 49
Experience and form will continually improve as well as your distance the more u play. Sadly time and aging will of course weaken your distance. I actually think watching people place accurate shots over distance is more impressive.