Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by landon77 View Post
I actually think watching people place accurate shots over distance is more impressive.
I agree to some extend, but how far you do have to throw accurately to be impressive? I can throw a 10, 100 even a 300ft shot with a lot of accuracy. But in your opinion at what distance with accuracy does it start to impress you? Or are you more impressed by people hitting small gaps? Throwing 400ft with decent accuracy is more impressive to me than throwing 300ft with great accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I agree to some extend, but how far you do have to throw accurately to be impressive? I can throw a 10, 100 even a 300ft shot with a lot of accuracy. But in your opinion at what distance with accuracy does it start to impress you? Or are you more impressed by people hitting small gaps? Throwing 400ft with decent accuracy is more impressive to me than throwing 300ft with great accuracy.
I like watching people hitting small gaps and pin placement for 100 feet or more is nice. Closer than that it is like a putt.
I agree with u a long drive is fun to watch but when someone can throw within a foot of a 380 feet hole i get hyped.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGeno View Post
I feel pretty good with my technique, so I think I may just be impatient
That is likely your problem. Learning to drive far with putters and videoing will tell you a lot about what you can work on.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
improved from 200 to 450 in the first summer of playing.

But that was with terrible shanking of all sorts of discs, and the following years I started to work more on precision and control and distance slowly winded back to 400-ish. Much more accurate though.

But I wanna do some more distance training at some point. But so much to learn first, those pesky rollers, sidearms etc...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Time had little to do with distance increases, from what I can tell. Breakthroughs increased my distance, and the time intervals are mostly meaningless (to me).
Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Eagle Member

I'm trying to get to 400 before time steals my distance as well. At this point, I just need to work on technique in the field, and accuracy on the course. I'm seeing improvement over time still.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 15
When I am driving somewhere and time is passing, my distance is improving pretty proportionally with the speed I am going. d=v*t. If I say, drive at 60 miles per hour, for like an hour, my distance has improved by like 60 miles.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 72
To the OP, I've heard a couple pros say that the thing that generally separates the big arms from the average distance throwers is arm speed. Sure, timing and technique is incredibly important, but that can be learned over time and practice. Increasing your fast twitch muscles and arm speed is rather tough. As far as what you can do to increase those, I have no idea. Maybe really fast pull ups?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 77
When I first started throwing, I got about 250 feet. Then in 3 months it went up to 300 feet. In about a year I got to about 350 feet. Now I can throw about 400-425 feet. I am on my third year playing now. I still have a lot of form tweaks that I need to work on and that will help me get more distance. When I first learned playing, I went out to a soccer field and threw drivers for about 30 minutes 3 times a week. I also started throwing faster and overstable discs like the destroyer and katana. They were really hard to throw at first, but I got used to them and started getting them to fly farther and farther. My distance has been improving, but very little compared to my first two years because I don't do any field work, just play a lot. Distance is fun, but if you want compete in tournaments, it doesn't help much if you have no accuracy. I am 35 years old now and hope my distance doesn't fade until I am in my late 40's.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 90
I've seen nice gains in distance AND accuracy since I've committed to field work, even in just the last month. Probably have gained about 40' (from 300 to 340'), and everything else has come along with it. Cleaning up my form has improved all my shots...heck, I can even drive with a putter now, which I had NO chance of doing before.

I'd equate field time to distance more than just plain ol' time.