Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What to do?
Respect your partner if you're playing for cash, keep it reasonable. 95 84.82%
Have another!!! 13 11.61%
Ugh, another poll? 1 0.89%
Did you search before posting a new thread? 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
League dub rds are cheap and meant to be fun. Get hammered drunk if you like I wont mind.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 12
If my hard earned cash is on the line you better believe I would be ticked if my partner got tanked or stoned.

You know you guys are really beginning to scare me. I thought this would be a good family activity for me to participate in with my wife and 14 year old daughter but if public intoxication, drug use and fist fights (posted about in another thread) are the norm I'm beginning to have reservations. This is not the kind of crap I want my family around.

I used to think disc golfers were laid back, friendly, easy going folks just out to enjoy nature, some exercise and a good time. Now I'm actually having serious reservations about getting involved in this sport at all.

I may just stick to shooting guns. Gun owners seem to be a lot more responsible.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Bogey Member

@Old Dog: You're overlooking the ~99.9% of all rounds that nobody feels like posting about because they played about average and nothing noteworthy happened.
Just like McDonald's doesn't get a million reviews per day reading "Was as expected".
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 103
I share the opinion that if you have a partner and money is on the line you should treat it seriously, but where do you draw the line? At our random dubs we have one guy who regularly brings his little kid with him, and my partner this week had his dog with him that just wandered around without any guidance from the owner - walking in front of the other team when they are trying to putt, sniffing around the teepad when people are trying to tee off, etc.

I treat weekly dubs as seriously as a sanctioned tournament because I love the competition, but I am not going to be "that guy" and tell the dude that his goofy dog needs to stay home. If it gets to the point of botherhing me that much I will be the one that stays home...
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
I don't like playing with people who are pissed drunk or stoned out of their mind regardless of whether money is on the line. I routinely skip out on groups of local guys playing doubles in favor of playing a solo round just because i find it irritating to be in the company of guys who are getting hammered.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
No easy answer, the two have to decide for themselfs.

If one is in it to compete for the money and the other is just a party head who just wants to chill and get drunk, then we have a conflict of interests and the two should probably organise their own partners.

If it was a random partner draw, then you can always expect something like this to happen and should not get angry. If you really want to be competitive you shouldnt play random tournaments anyway.

Anyway, to me it is a bad sign if you "play for cash". I wouldnt agree to that. But I probably also would not agree on a totally wasted partner anyway.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Is the old guy overreacting, or should the young buck have cut back some since they were playing for money?
There are two questions here.

To answer the first, no I don't think the old guy is overreacting. He clearly was not having a good time, he played the round to conclusion but had no interest in continuing into a last cash playoff. So he gave up any prize money he could have won, leaving his partner to play for it himself. I don't begrudge him for leaving. It may have been different if it was a playoff for first, but last cash is a bit different.

For the second: It really depends on the league. I've played plenty of events (doubles and singles) that were more focused on socializing and partying than disc golf. In that type of atmosphere, it's not unreasonable to get a little carried away.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 91
Most people I know drink a couple beers and are responsible about it. The Ball golfers I know are worse . Sorry you have bad opinions on drinking. I feel its my privilege(which I dont abuse) and its allowed on my courses. I dont always drink but league rds where I tend to socialize more I will. A lot of disc golfers are of the age where they like to drink
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscHurler View Post
@Old Dog: You're overlooking the ~99.9% of all rounds that nobody feels like posting about because they played about average and nothing noteworthy happened.
Just like McDonald's doesn't get a million reviews per day reading "Was as expected".
yep. "silent majority"

Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdizzlefizzle View Post
Most people I know drink a couple beers and are responsible about it. The Ball golfers I know are worse . Sorry you have bad opinions on drinking. I feel its my privilege(which I dont abuse) and its allowed on my courses. I dont always drink but league rds where I tend to socialize more I will. A lot of disc golfers are of the age where they like to drink
I don't think anyone has been discussing having a couple of beers responsibly or having a negative opinion on drinking in general. Getting hammered at the bar is one thing. Having a few beers at the course is one thing. Getting sloppy drunk while playing a round where something is on the line is something else.