Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountg View Post
He says they are waiting on a stump grinder...but how long could that take to get? There are multiple stores in town that sell them and wouldn't that be the route the city would take (support local commerce) Not to mention I would think this city would already have a stump grinder, seeing as there are other parks in the city, and ive seen them removing trees before.
In defense of the city, they may rent stump grinders instead of buying them. If they do rent, they may go through a specific company that they have some kind of contract with. That seems to me to be the most likely reason that they would have to wait on having access to a stump grinder.

The interactions do sound a little odd though. Maybe the guy in charge of this park would like to get the work done but is getting other initiatives from people above him.

If this goes on long enough you should eventually consider proposing to move the baskets to another location where maintenance is easier/higher priority for that park.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHFH
Not only do they rent, but, they also share with other parks within and out of their system, think County parks. So both can save money. Then they gotta work out a schedule that works for both and the longer they rent them the better the deal. So, they may be working with 3 or 4 other parks that need to use it.
We have that issue when they rent a air compressor to close the sprikler systems for the year.

Patience, conctact him weekly. Enough to let him know you are still here a d not bugging him, so you dont piss him off.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 4
I just worry im being led on here. I don't know how long these things usually take, but I know the first time I went to this course was like 3 months ago, and while the park gets maintained regularly, the disc golf portion hasn't been touched.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 77
3 months is a very short time in City-speak. You may be waiting much longer than that just on communications to go through.

Be persistant but try not to get on their nerves or bad side. Continue to offer free labor. Just stick with it, not much good happens quickly.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

To me it sounds like they have new plans for the area that have not yet been officially approved, so they are just leading you on, until they can tell you the truth. That is just me reading into the situation though. It is a little weird to me that they would upkeep the rest of the park, but not the DG course.

Are you the only one attempting to play the course regularly? Might also help to track down other DGers of that course and see what they know, and if they would also politely request assistance.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
To me it sounds like they have new plans for the area that have not yet been officially approved, so they are just leading you on, until they can tell you the truth. That is just me reading into the situation though. It is a little weird to me that they would upkeep the rest of the park, but not the DG course.

Are you the only one attempting to play the course regularly? Might also help to track down other DGers of that course and see what they know, and if they would also politely request assistance.
Well thats what worries me, as far as I can tell Im the only one in this whole county that even plays. I could be wrong, but I'll say this. I go to the course twice a week usually, that means Ive been out there probably 25 times or so, and the only two times anyone else was ever playing were
-An out of towner on a business trip
-A very inexperienced Mom/Dad/Kid who weren't really playing as much as throwing discs at baskets from wherever they felt like, and left after about 15 minutes.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 10
Sounds like you really need some backup support. If you could get your local Kiwanis or Rotary club or a couple of church youth groups interested in supporting disc golf as a healthy, family-friendly activity, then together you could make the case that people want to use that public space. With more people wanting to use the space, it also becomes a safety issue. Then P&R has to do some maintenance to avoid liability of potential injuries - sprained ankles and such.

When Kiwanians talk to the chamber of commerce about how disc golfers travel to experience different courses, and how tournaments bring people (and money) to town, the idea can grow among your community leaders and support for the course can materialize. A one-man battle is very hard to fight, whether your P&R dept is really against DG, facing a tight budget, or just lazy. When civic groups join the discussion and bring manpower and project funding to the table, things can get changed. Local Kiwanis members were the drivers behind the course getting built in our small town. Always remember to be positive and encouraging. Patience is heavily required. A few months of neglect can make a course unplayable, as you know. It can take several years to turn a course into something that really attracts players.

The point of a parks & rec department is to maintain public spaces so people can use them. If they see a space that people are actually going to use (and bring visitors and/or money to town), they will usually support it. But if they are completely set against it, you might never see change.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Par Member

BOOM! Update---

Ive been in communication with multiple members from the parks dept, and a lot of the problem with fixing the course up was with timing on different projects they have going on. So....

we kind of reached an unwritten agreement. The disc golf course priority is being moved up (work begins FRIDAY!!!) and I will personally volunteer for the parks dept, helping with maintenence (I was already planning to so this is no big deal) and I agree to volunteer to help with events as an extra hand if the parks needs me. (If I am available of course.)

So...This is it! Friday initial work begins!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 194
Hope it works out for you. Sometimes it just takes a really determined individual to make a course better.