Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Where do you practice?

I know a lot of people like football fields, or soccer fields, or pretty much anywhere else you can go have a nice wide-open space to chuck discs. Where do you go, and why do you go there?

I started out going to a football field mostly; the measurements already being there was nice. It's usually mowed (even in the off-season). Mine has concrete behind both end zones (a long jump runway and a high jump pad).

Recently, though, I discovered a net batting cage. It is AWESOME!!! 600+ throws in 2 hours; where else can you do that? It's a tunnel shot that doesn't wreck your discs if you miss. Decent footing everywhere ... just everything I ever wanted out of a practice spot. Other than being able to tell where your disc would have gone (how far, how much fade, etc.), but that doesn't matter that much, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 60
I still prefer to be able to watch my discs fly to be able to compare distances on discs, be able to see how discs preform on various angles/line, I'm able to see if i messed up easier, the extra walking is good exercise, I usually smoke cigarettes while I practice so the extra walking gives me time to do so & I just love watching discs fly. I could see some advantages to what your doing though, like you said you get more throws off in a shorter amount of time & if you were just working on your run-up then I could see this as a good alternative t always having to walk & get your discs. I personally use mostly Soccer fields or a big open area at a local course.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 40
Several places. I have 3 "driving" ranges (football field, and 2 open fields).
I also have 2 areas in my yard for putting and approaches.
I like the idea of a batting cage and since I work in Parks and Rec, I have ready access to several
Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 13
I practice at my local course winsor park and I practice putts on my DISCatcher sport basket in my back yard.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Sophomore

I guess I didn't mention that I have 2 baskets in my yard; about 200' between the 2, and about 10' total elevation change. My main practice basket has 4-10' of fall from the high side to low side of the 10m circle. I like being able to practice moderately uphill and downhill putts.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I still prefer to be able to watch my discs fly to be able to compare distances on discs, be able to see how discs preform on various angles/line, I'm able to see if i messed up easier, the extra walking is good exercise, I usually smoke cigarettes while I practice so the extra walking gives me time to do so & I just love watching discs fly. I could see some advantages to what your doing though, like you said you get more throws off in a shorter amount of time & if you were just working on your run-up then I could see this as a good alternative t always having to walk & get your discs. I personally use mostly Soccer fields or a big open area at a local course.
Sometimes I feel that being able to watch my discs fly distracts me, and actually harms my ability to concentrate on proper throwing mechanics. At the cage, I don't care, or even really know how far/hard I'm throwing; I do know if I'm throwing it the way I planned to, though.

Also, I might get a "down the line" view of my throws from in front the next time I get some film. I could also probably make someone climb the posts that hold the net up for a bird's eye ... that'd be mean, though ...
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
I go to the little park that's about 1,100 feet from my house. It is about 500x400 feet, so I have plenty of room to practice all kinds of shots. There are also a few trees, so I can learn different lines. I don't even have to go to the course. I can make one up at the park.

Even with it being so close, I only get out there like twice a month. So sad.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Other than being able to tell where your disc would have gone (how far, how much fade, etc.), but that doesn't matter that much, right?
But this is everything to me. I haven't been playing long enough to know what "feels" right, so the only feedback is my discs flight. I hear you though.

Now, where do I practice? I am lucky enough to have an elementary school behind my house, so I just go out the back gate and across the creek and start throwing in their soccer field. My son and I went in halves on a landscape tape measure and some orange cones to help with our field work. We've used them once so far and really enjoyed ourselves.

My goal next session will be to figure out what different (os and us) discs do on a spike hyzer. I'm pretty comfortable with level throws and hyzer flips. Reliable turnovers (that don't burn or turn too much) are still elusive.

Curtis
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 8
I go to my old high school football field. There are several reasons for this. First, it's about a 7 block walk and therefore less hassle than finding somewhere else. Second, I'm generally the only one there, so there're no bystanders to hit or anyone to walk off with my plastic. Third, it is a big wide open space whete I have plenty of room to work on whatever I need to.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 103
According to Allen Iverson,

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"

Actually, I'll practice in the backyard on my DYI basket.