Disc Golf Center
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by damtroll View Post
According to Allen Iverson,

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"

Actually, I'll practice in the backyard on my DYI basket.
I have always enjoyed that AI clip on youtube!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
The course I play at most is in a park with two soccer fields, I'm in the group that likes to watch my disc fly...
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 200
i prefer a baseball field. throw from home plate. fenced in on all sides and i only have a few discs that can get over the fence. the best part? well when they go over the fence
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
I live near a park that has a dam that stands 297 ft high. There is nice grassy area with some scattered oak and sycamore trees. I throw near the base of the dam. One way I throw only backhand and if any go wildly left they hit the dam before going too far. Then when I pick them all up again I'll throw them back the opposite way but work on my forehad throw, and any of the going wildly right will hit the dam. It gets crowded in the summer but during the off season I can have the whole park to myself.

New Croton Dam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Croton_Dam
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 73
I have a home course, Knobley Mt. DGC. I also have holes set up for my portables at now fewer than half a dozen local parks or schools. There are also two baskets at a local church, Liberty Christian Fellowship in Cresaptown, MD, and I occasionally go there. And finally, misc. baseball and soccer fields around the area. When we went to Disney a couple years ago, I made up holes around our resort and had a blast, too.

Basically, wherever I can, I will play.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
But this is everything to me. I haven't been playing long enough to know what "feels" right, so the only feedback is my discs flight. I hear you though.

Now, where do I practice? I am lucky enough to have an elementary school behind my house, so I just go out the back gate and across the creek and start throwing in their soccer field. My son and I went in halves on a landscape tape measure and some orange cones to help with our field work. We've used them once so far and really enjoyed ourselves.

My goal next session will be to figure out what different (os and us) discs do on a spike hyzer. I'm pretty comfortable with level throws and hyzer flips. Reliable turnovers (that don't burn or turn too much) are still elusive.

Curtis
I hear you. But 60' of flight is enough for me to predict the rest of the flight. I'm not trying to learn how to throw new shots (as far as non-burning hyzer-flips, etc.), or figure out how my discs are going to fly given different releases; I already know all that. I'm just working on a consistent release. There are a lot of places that there's a window 60' or so out that I need to hit, and the cage can tell me if I hit that window or not.

I won't completely stop going to a field and chucking discs, but if I'm just trying to get in a lot of throws to nail down a certain part of my form, or to try to develop a new shot (I've been throwing a lot of fh and lh there), the cage is awesome.

The field I usually go to, though, does have a lot of pedestrians. One of the reasons I wanted to find a new spot. I've yet to have a pedestrian walk through the cage while I was throwing

There's also a water spigot about 50' away, which is nice.

I'm not in it for exercise, so the extra walking has always been something I just had to do ... I don't have to pick up my discs at all now. Just throw them, walk to the other side, and start throwing them back. They end up close enough together I don't have to group them together before I start throwing.

So, additional questions: what reasons have people abandoned fields? And what would your perfect field look like? Hills? Trees? Concrete pad? (I have a couple areas at my house I'm trying to make into really good practice areas) For this question, I'm looking for 3 types of "fields" I guess; driving, upshots, and putt/approach.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 213
You will find me most days between my jobs on hole 2(driving) or 3(putting) at bradford park. Hole 2 is a wide open 460' bomb and hole 3 is a nice Shady green with plenty of space. Also if I need to do some practice on upshots and tight lines I'll go out to brackett's
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 108
I practice over lunch at Quann Park in Madison almost every day. It's literally a 6 block walk from my office.

I throw on the soccer fields for 30 minutes (RHBH and RHFH).
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 25
I practice at a local city park about 2 blocks from house. It has about a 300X600' field, so I can stop in and do fieldwork. Its crowded on the weekends but never in the morning or evening.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 57
Im lucky enough to have a huge grass field at my work complex. Rare thing in Southern AZ