Disc Golf Store
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Minimum discs to carry? Technically, only 2. A disc and a mini. But minimum discs to carry if you plan on doing well? I would say about 4:

Putter
Stable Midrange
Understable Fairway Driver
Stable Fairway Driver

With those 4 discs you should be able to cover just about every shot. You might have to make the disc work for you but you should be able to use just those.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I've played some courses with 3 discs:
moderately overstable driver
neutral mid
Challenger

Strangely, I only do that at local courses just for s&g. When I take a daytrip or road trip to play some destination DG, I bring my full bag, because chances are I'm not comin' back soon (if at all), and I wanna play the course with no compromises.
^This nails it on the head for me.

I just picked up a Discraft Weekender bag yesterday and only put 6 discs in it for when I play local rounds and know the courses well.

If I'm anywhere but those three courses, it's my full Grip bag with 15 - 17 discs. Every shot I use is covered, plus backups.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Par Member

He seems to dislike having too many molds in his bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNkDFY9XBE
Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
I have a bunch of disc, but only throw a few constantly. I throw a few more than others because I throw both backhand and forehand. I prefer understand for backhands, and overstable for my flicks.

I have no idea why people like having a ton of mid ranges, I only have 1. I see a need for multiple drivers depends on the layout of the hole you are currently on. I don't really see a need for multiple mid ranges. I want the straightest flying mid range that has a nice glide to it. I can change it to hyze or annie from there if I absolutely need to. That 150' or less range shouldn't be where you are trying to angle the disc in your shot much to the hole. On your drive you may be making a shot that cuts hard around a dog leg. So you may want a specialized disc to help you with your angle of release to make that shot both better and easier. But once you have laid out your driver for the proper shot to the hole, you should be aiming straight for the hole from that point on with your mid range. If you are still trying to make some crazy lines and curve shots at less than 150', in my opinion you are doing it wrong.

Putters I have multiples on because I have a nice floppy Omega I like, and an Annode I like. I use them for different reasons. For example I like the Omega because it floats and sets down easy. It's not likely to overshoot the basket or skip out. So one holes where a basket is setting up on a small perch of land, my floppy driver comes out. If I miss the putt, I have a good chance of not having to chase my putter down a steep embankment.

I like the more sturdy Annode for longer putts that I go for. It flies straight, true, and level.

My answer is to stay minimal as well. But if you are going to have multiples go for multiple drivers and putters and stick with 1 nice flat mid range.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblank View Post
That 150' or less range shouldn't be where you are trying to angle the disc in your shot much to the hole. On your drive you may be making a shot that cuts hard around a dog leg. So you may want a specialized disc to help you with your angle of release to make that shot both better and easier. But once you have laid out your driver for the proper shot to the hole, you should be aiming straight for the hole from that point on with your mid range. If you are still trying to make some crazy lines and curve shots at less than 150', in my opinion you are doing it wrong.

If you're throwing mids on 150' shots, imho you're doing it wrong. Putters are much better discs 200' and in. I don't even bust out mids unless I have a 250-300ft drive or upshot.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblank View Post
I have a bunch of disc, but only throw a few constantly. I throw a few more than others because I throw both backhand and forehand. I prefer understand for backhands, and overstable for my flicks.

I have no idea why people like having a ton of mid ranges, I only have 1. I see a need for multiple drivers depends on the layout of the hole you are currently on. I don't really see a need for multiple mid ranges. I want the straightest flying mid range that has a nice glide to it. I can change it to hyze or annie from there if I absolutely need to. That 150' or less range shouldn't be where you are trying to angle the disc in your shot much to the hole. On your drive you may be making a shot that cuts hard around a dog leg. So you may want a specialized disc to help you with your angle of release to make that shot both better and easier. But once you have laid out your driver for the proper shot to the hole, you should be aiming straight for the hole from that point on with your mid range. If you are still trying to make some crazy lines and curve shots at less than 150', in my opinion you are doing it wrong.

Putters I have multiples on because I have a nice floppy Omega I like, and an Annode I like. I use them for different reasons. For example I like the Omega because it floats and sets down easy. It's not likely to overshoot the basket or skip out. So one holes where a basket is setting up on a small perch of land, my floppy driver comes out. If I miss the putt, I have a good chance of not having to chase my putter down a steep embankment.

I like the more sturdy Annode for longer putts that I go for. It flies straight, true, and level.

My answer is to stay minimal as well. But if you are going to have multiples go for multiple drivers and putters and stick with 1 nice flat mid range.
If you're throwing midranges off the tee for throws out to and past 300' you might need a few discs to help shape some lines
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride the Throw View Post
Wow, look at this thread go. I meant to come back at some point and post a consensus.
This guy pretty much nailed the overlying theme of the thread.

Could be done with as little as 3-5, or even 1. Or 25
Seems like most leaning on between 7-10 from what I can tell.
Thanks all
My son and I play every Monday, usually two rounds. Many times at Bear Creek we play the second round two disc only in order to save time (for eating out and socializing). My 179 Z Buzzz goes 280 for me which is only 30 or 40 feet short of what I do with a fairway (don't throw distance drivers) and I use a X or Z Comet since it will do all of the "other" mid shots plus putt fairly well. Fun rounds and they go super fast since we're not spending time fumbling with equipment or deciding what disc to play.

Curtis
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
A long competitive course? 3 discs at least, maybe 4. I've got a glo-bag of 3, an at-home-for-2-months bag of 7, and an anywhere-by-plane-or-other-trans of 6.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
I can play just about any course with 3 discs:
1. A putter(Wizard)
2. Workhorse mid(Roc)
3. Workhorse fairway/distance driver(PD)

Most of the time when I go out and play with only a couple of discs, I will only bring 2(a putter and a mid).

Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
If I had to carry minimum discs I would carry a putter(KC Aviar), mid(Roc of course), fairway(teebird), and distance(prodigy D3). that's only 4 discs!