Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
College club team fundraising?

Our college club team is starting up again this year, and we're wanting to be more active than we've been in years past in regards to tournaments, but that is going to require more fundraising than has been necessary in the past. In the past, the club has sold shirts via our local shop, and hosted a Birdie Bash. Does anyone here have any suggestions for what we could do to raise some gas/entry fee money? The only thing we're trying to avoid is selling discs; our local shop is really good about supporting the club and the sport in the area in general, and we'd rather not risk alienating them by risking lowering their sales.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 59
Maybe try and partner with your local shop by selling your discs through them/with their support?

My plan at UGA is to have logos on file at a store so people can call in and get whatever UGA disc golf logo they want on whatever disc they want ... and we as a club never have to touch anything. (the store will have to be set up as a UGA vendor and do some CLC paperwork)

... and DEFINITELY make sure you get approval for use of any UT logos you might use. It's a pain, but well worth it so that the school doesn't come after you guys for money you might not have.

If you're not already a registered student organization, look into that. I believe at UGA, the club will be able to apply for travel costs and tournament entry fees, but not lodging. I'm pretty sure GT showed up to SECO last year in a rented van big enough for their two teams + team mom, so that would be pretty sweet to do with school funds.

I have some other plans too, but I don't want to spill the beans just yet

Last edited by heartman; 09-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 352
Throwing Style: RHFH
Colorado State U sold custom Buzzzes through their store, The Wright Life last fall. They also did an ace race.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
The South Carolina team has sold shirts and custom-stamped discs, directly, through the local disc golf club, and through a small local disc store. They also have some special bag-tags that they sold at $10 a piece to raise money.

Coordinate with your local store, but don't worry too much about competing on disc sales. You're almost certainly not selling the specific discs people want, disc golfers being so finicky. People buy them to support you, or because they love anything with the local team name and/or logo on it. So they'll buy your disc, in addition to that 171g off-purple Z Nuke from the 2011 production run that they feel they must have.

The trick to merchandise sales is having the capital to order them in the first place, and that you don't actually make money until you get almost all of them sold.