Disc Golf Store
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
I use a 4 finger power grip for most shots and keep the finger tips inside the rim my palm doesn't really touch the rim much. My thumb is really straight at least an inch from the edge. I can control the disc and feel like I am holding on pretty firm.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Notrepidation
I have thick, meaty paws. Still not sure which method I like best. Not sure which is giving me more distance and control. Here's another question SW.....I have heard you mention several times that users may have the disc too far back in their hand....I have always jammed the rim of the disc into in between the "butt cheecks" (Kenny's word, not mine) and held it fully flushed in my palm, insuring the rim is aligned with my forearm (running straight up my forearm). Am I rebbing myself or otherwise hindering myself by doing so? If so, what is the alternative. Sorry to the OP for the hijack 8(.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
The last and most important point of contact is the pad and base of the index and thumb pad unless you have some kind of crazy g.i. joe kung fu claw grip on the disc. The further away/out that point of contact/pivot is, the more leverage you can get on the disc. When the disc is too deep into the base of palm it's harder to maintain the thumb leverage against the index/pivot point and the other fingers tend to resist the pivot more than aid it. I still have the rear of the disc in the "butt cheeks" of the palm but not as deep and only for a sec when I'm gripping hard with the thumb in the power zone. You should be able to control/spring the disc without the thumb on the disc just using your fingers.