Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Birdie Member

I've been thinking one of the next waves of disc golf growth could be the sport reaching a point where disc golf could be considered a viable agri-tourism type activity. Not a labor of love, but truly viable.

This would be for smaller scale land owners, such as family farms, etc that otherwise could be looking to supplemental income to support the continued holding of their family land. Right now there are options for supplemental income from corn mazes, and other agri tourism pursuits. some of these side uses may even be subsidized to some degree by some programs.

However, for the small to medium farm owner to see benefit, the pay to play would have to make sense and accomplish the mission of actually bringing in supplemental income.

That means it by definition will not be 100 percent fee value turned around to players. 'cause that's not sustainable. The juice has to be worth the squeeze as they say.

Maybe some day, maybe some day soon perhaps. (likely an example or two or three +already, especially if you consider tree farmers)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistd0 View Post
P2P courses are the norm in New England. There are VERY few free courses. The $$ courses are typically $5 a round or $8 to $10 for unlimited play.
Wow, that's steep. I hope they have annual passes or something.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Wow, that's steep. I hope they have annual passes or something.
Really? $5 for a round is steep??

And yes, annual passes generally go in the $75-$150 range around here.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Really? $5 for a round is steep??

And yes, annual passes generally go in the $75-$150 range around here.
Yea, 5 bucks is steep. I could see paying up to $100 for an annual pass, but no more. At the rate I play, that works out to about $2 a round, so that's not TOO expensive.

You gotta remember, a lot of us are broke. That's why I've never tried to play golf. THAT's expensive.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 35
I love it when people complain that $5 is too expensive as they put another 50 cent cancer stick in their mouths. I deal with this on a regular basis.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
And here's a list of the advantages besides just disc golfers in no particular order:

-Proper etiquette at all times.
-Scorecards
-Signs
-Fairway distance markers
-Places to sit
-No crowds
-Full service store on the premises
-Knowledgeable, friendly owners
As someone who not only frequents pay-to-play courses, but operates one as well, I do have to caution people that the two items I bolded can't always be assumed just because the course is pay-to-play.

Around here, everything's pay to play, thus if people are playing, they're paying to do it. Even the folks that aren't aware of or observant of proper etiquette. And on nice days, courses can get packed with family groups, groups of teens, groups of old people, etc that tend to clog things up just like at the public free courses.

Of course, even with that, you do get all of the other listed perks and then some. I've yet to pay to play at a course and regret spending the money. I've played plenty of free courses at parks where I regretted spending the time and gas to get there.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
As someone who not only frequents pay-to-play courses, but operates one as well, I do have to caution people that the two items I bolded can't always be assumed just because the course is pay-to-play.
JC makes a good point that should be noted. The asking of a fee does indeed often set a tone that leads to those things happening more often (all things being equal) but he's right in that it doesn't ensure it.

It's because there are people involved. If you ever had the inkling to do it, you could spend time delving into the ongoing issues that high cost to participate activites have. They're essentially the same issues. Ball Golf -it's pace of play, ettiquette, courtesy, destructiveness, vandalism, trash. It's all the same core issues. The money difference didn't eliminate them, they are still there - just the way it acts out is different. Still management, still people getting ruffled about something. Marshals spend all day clashing with irresponsible jerks. Still disrespectful behavior.

But the odds of encountering it are lessened for any single pass through experience.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
JC, I could see that your boldfaced items could be a problem, but that's where a good course owner would monitor that. They do around these parts. If you're a bad egg you will get told to leave the P2P courses. Same as a ball golf course. And if those things were to become a nuisance that's when the price goes up for quality of play.

And $5 is too expensive? Hey I'm broke as a joke all the time. But please, $5 for all day? Even $10 for all day is affordable. If you can't afford it then play public. And that is somewhat the point. If you're not serious enough, and I don't mean looking to become a pro, but serious enough to get the best disc golf has to offer, then by all means play public.

Last edited by simpletwist; 09-17-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

I'd gladly pay 10, maybe even 20 bucks to play a really nice course, once in a blue moon. Just not all the time.