Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Imagine if previously qualified (but failed to register) competitors only had a single round to try on Monday... Hmmm.... No mulligans.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
so Cale and Nikko are irresponsible, don't register, and now get to re-qualify and likely take 2 spots from players?

This has been the worst thing about USDGC over the years.

They are players as well. Sometimes life happens and you don't know if oyu will be able to make an event until right up to the wire. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Though that sentiment is rare on this board
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
so Cale and Nikko are irresponsible, don't register, and now get to re-qualify and likely take 2 spots from players?

This has been the worst thing about USDGC over the years.
The headscratcher part of this to me is that if the USDGC isn't going to fill the open spots created by qualified players failing to register, why do those spots have a time limit in the first place?

I understand they want players registered for the sake of personalizing player pack items and printing the programs, etc. But if that's the only reason, I don't see why they can't let qualified players sign up late and just have to go without their personalized shirt or bag tag or whatever.

If Monday qualifying doubled as a waitlist of sorts and they filled as many open spots as they could, it would be a different story. A player re-qualifying would essentially be filling their own open spot. If that's not the case, then I agree, it's a bit unfair to let players have two bites at the apple.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The headscratcher part of this to me is that if the USDGC isn't going to fill the open spots created by qualified players failing to register, why do those spots have a time limit in the first place?

I understand they want players registered for the sake of personalizing player pack items and printing the programs, etc. But if that's the only reason, I don't see why they can't let qualified players sign up late and just have to go without their personalized shirt or bag tag or whatever.

If Monday qualifying doubled as a waitlist of sorts and they filled as many open spots as they could, it would be a different story. A player re-qualifying would essentially be filling their own open spot. If that's not the case, then I agree, it's a bit unfair to let players have two bites at the apple.
Yeah they don't ever allow more than 5. So basically, it's 3 this year.

Also, this is the 2nd time Cale has had to requalify on Monday.

These guys make sometimes a thousand bucks on a weekend. You can't tell me that between them and their sponsors, someone wouldn't give them $250 to register. You know they will finish in the money....

But the real isssue is the USDGC supports this. Imagine if Nikko is tight on Money and can't sign up.

No big deal. He knows he can shoot 67 in his sleep, which gets him on Monday, and goes anyway because he knows that option is there.

The USDGC created this problem. I used to email JP every year about how awful I thought it was.

Last edited by _MTL_; 09-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 74
Thanks for the clarifications gents. i knew in years past champions were automatically qualified. Did not now there was a change to that in 2012. Good info.

If Nikko and Cale are monday qualifying looks like the spectators just got an extra day of enjoyment.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 41
I like how Johansen is on the USDGC website in his Signature Tie Dye but isnt signed up for the event!
HA!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Birdie Member

I imagine another reason they have the Monday qualifying is it's a fund-raiser. I'm not sure how many people attempt at $50, then pop $25 another time or two, but the result has got to be hundreds of dollars (or more) going toward tourney expenses or the purse.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
I imagine another reason they have the Monday qualifying is it's a fund-raiser. I'm not sure how many people attempt at $50, then pop $25 another time or two, but the result has got to be hundreds of dollars (or more) going toward tourney expenses or the purse.
Exactly and the Monday qualifier is busy for sure. I have gone around 3 times in one day and i know i am not alone. But when i went around 3 times it was only $30.00 to go and i think $15.00 for the rebuy.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 83
I asked this on another thread and never got a reply... am I allowed to play the course on Monday, without trying to qualify? E.g., can I play fo' free?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 101
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethead326 View Post
I asked this on another thread and never got a reply... am I allowed to play the course on Monday, without trying to qualify? E.g., can I play fo' free?
No. The course isn't available for public play until the sunday after the event.