Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
when I get drunk and I am playing really bad I use the phrase "When in doubt throw a roller" normally it doesn't work well for me. That being said it looks pretty close for a normall roller what about an OH roller?
What?? Is that the same as a forehand roller, or are you talking about a scooby roller or thumber roller? I've just never heard that term used before.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG addict24 View Post
I'd throw my slightly understable driver, get it to go through the gap on the left, turn, then fade back into the hill a little bit at the end.
I've been trying this lately with a Saint and I am just getting crummy luck hitting that tree dead on or nicking a branch just enough to kill momentum. I need to experiment with tee pad positioning also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
BroD,

My thoughts: You either go for a 2 or a 3.

If you want the two, you're best bet is throwing a hyzer flip. It flies out there under the branches, flips up and gains a little altitude, and sits down on the hill. But as you noted, you're taking a big risk of hitting a trunk/branch and looking at a 4 very quickly. Even so, I seem to usually avoid a 4 going with the hyzer flip. Where is that sidewinder that you've aced hole 6 with throwing a hyzer flip?

The other option is going for a smart 3, in which you just throw the roller you are asking about. Odds are you will roll a good ways out there but not up the hill, and you'll have a 50-60 foot approach for your second shot.

Whatever you choose, best wishes and have fun.
I just can't hyzerflip this hole for some reason, with anything. Every time I try and flip one it ends up climbing too high and nicking a branch. Either I need to learn how to throw lower or learn an airbounce or something.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
A standstill, low stance from the belt type drive is what I would try here to get under those pesky branches. Do you practice drives like that BroD?
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
A standstill, low stance from the belt type drive is what I would try here to get under those pesky branches. Do you practice drives like that BroD?
Well, I'm 6'2" and the trees/branches are about 20-30' away and the branches are head height. Now the hole plays slightly uphill so I'd have to release at least below my belt if I don't want to throw a 150' worm burner. I don't have terribly long arms either.

Part of the reason I'm thinking about testing rollers here is because these branches hang down vertically into the gap instead of your usual horizontally across. Since rollers can be mostly vertical during this part of flight it actually might present less disc for the branches to hit.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Update:

Having some decent success BH rolling a beat DX Eagle, got pin high fairly comfortably. The FH rollers I tried with Banshees and Eagles didn't work too well, I might be doing it wrong (high chance) or I need to try more understable discs.

But suck it anyway you naysayers that poo pooed my rolling ideas.

One guy was like "Wow, did you mean to do that?" I was like "Yeah, I actually did."
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Courses Played: 1
FH Hyzer flip right down the middle. Chains.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Hole 12 at N. Asheboro park, NC.

It's 325' long and the basket sits atop a knoll. There's an almost always swampy strip running diagonally towards the creek (technically it is the creek) but it shouldn't bother a roller. This hole is really annoying because the branches hanging down make it a low ceiling and if you hit them they smack your drive straight down. I'm getting tired of trying to sneak an air shot just under them (or hitting that tree in the middle) and wondering if a roller would make it easier to get most of the way there.
I don't roll unless the trees I'm trying to thread are at least 150' off the tee, tight throughout, and with all low canopies. Those don't look too tight.

For air shots, I pick the biggest gap, aim for the middle, then choose the disc that will follow the necessary line to rest under the basket. If there is little risk of rolling OB or going much past the basket after a skip, I might attempt an ace shot with slow-speed skip just right and in front of the basket (RHBH). The uphill skip here is perfect for braking and rise to hit the chains.

Last edited by Questatement; 10-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Skips don't usually work too well on this hole. I've been consistently rolling the DX Eagle out to about pin high near where the trees are close to the creek. I actually made it just over the creek last time.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 32
FH with the Banshee all day.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Keeper of the White Squirrels

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 71
That would be an old ProLine Beast here. Looks like a nice hole if you can hit the gap.