Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Why don't the online retailers note stamp color?

I assume the answer is, "because it is too time consuming," which is bull considering the vendors who weigh each disc.

It seems like a no brainer, especially because that is the only thing about buying locally that is obviously better than the online retailers.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 46
I think the listings would look cluttered or confusing from a sales perspective. Large retailers would have some long lists of color and stamp options. The few times I've I inquired about stamp color I got really helpful service from the online retailers.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblam View Post
I assume the answer is, "because it is too time consuming," which is bull considering the vendors who weigh each disc.

It seems like a no brainer, especially because that is the only thing about buying locally that is obviously better than the online retailers.
I am going to bet "because it's too time consuming" is going to be the answer if the stamp color varies. And it isn't bull IMHO unless you don't mind the distributors paying someone minimum wage for hours on end cataloging stamp colors into a computer and all the extra hours of dealing with, "DUDE THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT STAMP COLOR SHIP ME THE RIGHT ONE FOR FREE" nonsense and thus passing that cost on to you.

Yes, I completely agree...buy local. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 164
Not worth the hassle to incorporate that into their site IMO. If it's that important to you, buy locally or call them... most of them try to satisfy customers' requests if they're reasonable. If a few of them refuse to promise stamp color, then maybe it's not reasonable.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 57
I only care about four things when ordering discs: Disc model, plastic type, color, weight. And I can see those things at the online disc stores that I use. I would guess that if stamp color were important to a significant number of customers, someone would be including it in their listings. So maybe most buyers don't care??
Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 25
How many options on stamp color are there? I doubt that they are being manufactured in a large variety of different stamp colors.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
How many options on stamp color are there? I doubt that they are being manufactured in a large variety of different stamp colors.
This is my point, though. If there aren't a ton of options, noting them isnt such a big deal. Also, most online retailers give each disc a specific code so they keep track of inventory. Noting what the stamp color is at the same time they weigh them, doesn't seem like a huge thing, and the fact that people ooh and aww over nice disc/stamp combos means that it is enough of a selling point that some people would like to know.

I would bet, in the long run, not having to answer calls and emails from people like me about stamp color may be a time saver not a waster.

People don't have to agree that it is a neat thing to know, but I'd bet if that information was available people would like it a lot compared to sites that don't do it.

Skulboy's site lists stamp color, and those listings don't seem cluttered, imo.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblam View Post
I would bet, in the long run, not having to answer calls and emails from people like me about stamp color may be a time saver not a waster.
Dependent on how many such inquiries they receive.

If you're the only one---or, more fairly, if they're rarely asked about stamp color---they probably figure it's easier to field calls and emails for those rare cases.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Dependent on how many such inquiries they receive.

If you're the only one---or, more fairly, if they're rarely asked about stamp color---they probably figure it's easier to field calls and emails for those rare cases.
Word. I emailed discgolfcenter about it once, and they basically told me not to do it anymore. I haven't asked any other retailers, so I will try now with marshallstreet and dynamic. They may be more willing to help.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
"especially because that is the only thing about buying locally that is obviously better than the online retailers."

Seriously?

Domey vs. Flat

Gummy vs. Slick

I'm not saying online retailers don't have their place because they most certainly do, but what are most online retailers doing to support your local disc golf scene...nothing. Local retailers are often promoters and/or sponsors of local disc golf.