Disc Golf Store
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
i do like the fact that some online retailers, such as hazardiscs, show you exactly what you're getting.

for instance, i ordered a white FR rival, right?

one stamp was green and the other was silver. silver is going to be a lot easier for me to wipe off without worrying about a stain in the plastic.

that said, i would likely do just as fine with the green. i just get more paranoid.

i will be buying that other one, though . . . for my shelf.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
"especially because that is the only thing about buying locally that is obviously better than the online retailers."

Seriously?

Domey vs. Flat

Gummy vs. Slick

I'm not saying online retailers don't have their place because they most certainly do, but what are most online retailers doing to support your local disc golf scene...nothing. Local retailers are often promoters and/or sponsors of local disc golf.
I am sorry for my hyperbole. I love my local shop, but they don't/can't carry everything. When I spend money online, the only piece I really feel lacking is knowing exactly what my disc will look like when it arrives. Buying vibram used to be nice for this reason.

You are right on about local stores, which is also why I like to buy from the online stores that are, in fact, local shops that do all the good things you list for the sport in their locales.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
It could be that online retailers' databases aren't set up to account for anything but weight.

From what I understand DiscNation will be "nerding out" big time when it comes to disc descriptions as they grow the current version of their website.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
i do like the fact that some online retailers, such as hazardiscs, show you exactly what you're getting.

for instance, i ordered a white FR rival, right?

one stamp was green and the other was silver. silver is going to be a lot easier for me to wipe off without worrying about a stain in the plastic.

that said, i would likely do just as fine with the green. i just get more paranoid.

i will be buying that other one, though . . . for my shelf.
Great point, I didn't even think of dye fans.

Our sport involves a lot of pickyness, as we all want what fits our needs best, to the gram. Stamp may be a lane thing, but it matters to some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
It could be that online retailers' databases aren't set up to account for anything but weight.

From what I understand DiscNation will be "nerding out" big time when it comes to disc descriptions as they grow the current version of their website.
I need to order from them. The halloween chains for brains resistor, (I think that they do those), looks sick!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Yes, I completely agree...buy local. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Except for some folks, buying local means shopping at Wal-Mart, Academy, REI, Dick's or Scheels, or possibly a convenience store.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Except for some folks, buying local means shopping at Wal-Mart, Academy, REI, Dick's or Scheels, or possibly a convenience store.
Well...That's not what I was thinking of when I said that. Should have been more specific than that I guess.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
The complexity of making a disc golf site which included the weight, color, stamp, and stamp color of every disc would just be a bit cumbersome...