Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Need a ruling on a putt

So the other day I had a long putt for birdie at an older DISCatcher I longed it and ended up landing on top of the basket. Bummer. Until my disc decided to tip over and proceed to fall down into the chains through the top of the basket. Yay? I think...

This was one of the older baskets where the hated yellow ring is supported by four spokes at 90 around the circle, rather than the bunch of spokes around the circle. So the disc can actually fit through the basket into the chains, if it lands perfectly.

So my question is if this is a legal putt? My disc never came to rest until it was supported by the chains - it just happened to take a trajectory that I'm a little fuzzy on the legality of.

Comments? Go!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Par Member

Sadly no putt.

www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/802-basic-rules-of-play/80205-holing-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802.05
...A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
For casual play on my home course, whenever that happens, we usually remark that it's not in but count it as if it were.

Last edited by DiscHurler; 09-30-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 31
legal putt, I use a Ching juju, it does do some funny ass wacky wall walker bull ****. but, if the basket Is ruled legal to be played, and the disc comes to rest inside, its in right?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 109
That rule presents some subjective difficulties when the target is hidden from view...or heck, even when it is in plain view for longer shots. The whole idea behind having baskets rather than object targets is to eliminate subjectivity; is it not?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 109
Back in the '90s, I remember players being told in tournaments that they needed to personally retrieve their Disc when stuck into the side of the basket cage before it falls to the ground in order for it to count as being holed out. I witnessed on more than one occasion a player sprinting to the basket to do just that.

(...and I have an ace that occurred in that fashion where I sprinted the 267' to retrieve it! My Banshee stuck right into the side of the cage in the shape of a taco's tortilla shell. I count it; it was during a casual round, though.)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscHurler View Post
Sadly no putt.

www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/802-basic-rules-of-play/80205-holing-out

For casual play on my home course, whenever that happens, we usually remark that it's not in but count it as if it were.
DiscHurler is correct, if the disc enters through the top of the basket it does not count.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Doesn't count.

However side story on the same idea..

I've seen an ace through the top of one - before the rule changed. One of the craziest shots I've ever seen.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
That rule presents some subjective difficulties when the target is hidden from view...or heck, even when it is in plain view for longer shots. The whole idea behind having baskets rather than object targets is to eliminate subjectivity; is it not?
If you can't be sure of how the disc entered the target, benefit of the doubt goes to the player. If you can see it enter through the top, or through the side of the cage, it does not count as in.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 97
I'm a little confused. Why would it not count? Wouldn't it be supported by the chains or drop all the way down into the basket which are both legal by PDGA rules?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 76
Some older baskets simply don't meet the PDGA standards of today. Not much we can do about that short of replacing upgrading them. So in official PDGA play, through the top is no good.

I have several Instep baskets that allow this to happen and I wouldn't count it as in if the scenario ever happened to me, even in a casual round. But that is just me.