Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
I mean obviously if its resting on top of the basket or stuck on the outside of the basket then it's clearly no good. Maybe I'm just unclear on what actually took place.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney1984 View Post
I mean obviously if its resting on top of the basket or stuck on the outside of the basket then it's clearly no good. Maybe I'm just unclear on what actually took place.
It landed on top of the basket and fell through the top into the chains. While the end result is the same as a shot that hits the chains and sticks, it doesn't count because of the way it entered.

It's the last sentence of 802.05A that applies here.

Quote:
Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Same has happened to me on multiple occasions. I even had one miraculous putt that hit the basket on top, slid across and fell in on the back side somehow for a legitimate chain out. I counted that one, but as for the ones that fall through the top of the basket, I don't count those, even if they occur during practice.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
It landed on top of the basket and fell through the top into the chains. While the end result is the same as a shot that hits the chains and sticks, it doesn't count because of the way it entered.

It's the last sentence of 802.05A that applies here.
oh ok I did not see that in the rule book. That makes sense then. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
tourney = no count

casual = hell yeah that counts dude that was awesome

end of story
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 147
In casual play, I think a lot of us would count this as in, but I know there are sticklers out there, so...

How about we start a tradition for unsanctioned play: any shot that results in a disc that has not been holed out by pdga standards, BUT comes to rest suspended in any way (landed on top, stuck in the side of the cage, or even leaning against the pole!) by the 'entrapment device' shall be marked as a .5 stroke.

Since you always round up, it just counts as a stroke...unless it happens twice in a round!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 44
i would only count it if it were a mini disc to a mini basket, playing a mini round, since discs resting on top count in mini golf.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
In casual play, I think a lot of us would count this as in, but I know there are sticklers out there, so...

How about we start a tradition for unsanctioned play: any shot that results in a disc that has not been holed out by pdga standards, BUT comes to rest suspended in any way (landed on top, stuck in the side of the cage, or even leaning against the pole!) by the 'entrapment device' shall be marked as a .5 stroke.

Since you always round up, it just counts as a stroke...unless it happens twice in a round!
Playing solo rounds, casual rounds with friends, league rounds, and tournament rounds, I'm inclined to play by the same rules all the time.

But my answer for anyone else's casual round is, Count it if you want. Your casual round, your rules.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscHurler View Post
Sadly no putt.

www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/802-basic-rules-of-play/80205-holing-out

For casual play on my home course, whenever that happens, we usually remark that it's not in but count it as if it were.
^ this is the rule as it stands now - why shouldn't it apply?
IMO, a disc that falls through the top is no different than DROT = not in. Count those, and you really should count DROT's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
That rule presents some subjective difficulties when the target is hidden from view...or heck, even when it is in plain view for longer shots. The whole idea behind having baskets rather than object targets is to eliminate subjectivity; is it not?
I understand your point, but it's the same as a disc that enters through the side of the basket (wedgies)... If you don't see how it enters (on a blind hole or whatever), the assumption is it entered the basket in the most likley way - by passing over the vertical edge of the basket into the chains/tray, rather than assuming it entered through the top or side.

However, when it's observed to have entered "illegally," there's nothing to assume - it's not in.
Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-30-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
If you log your scores here on dgcr, and count these shots as having completed the hole, then you are totally throwing off the accuracy of calculated DGCR round ratings for a course, and for yourself. Of course, this probably doesn't happen very often, but it is something for the obsessive/compulsive to think about.