Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 24
David Tomlinson and I tried to qualifying for Open Flight (David is already in Performance Flight) but those OB bugs bitten us one too many times. That is what happens when one slightly mis throw in very unforgiving course.

I feel bad for Matthew Kuhn (sp?) from Indiana. He was very nice and cheerful guy and was in my group (final card just before 3pm deadline). He was playing very well up to #17. David was shocked that Matthew threw putter like 60 or so feet from tee instead of going for island green, he said he only go for Par. Then instead of going for Par, he threw three straight OB and ended up getting 7 and ending his qualifying round with a 68. Had he gotten a 3 at #17, he would have beaten Brain Schwebby for finally spot with his 64! Man, that hurts! He really deserved to be in Open Flight, oh well there is always next time.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Had he gotten a 3 at #17, he would have beaten Brain Schwebby for finally spot with his 64! Man, that hurts! He really deserved to be in Open Flight, oh well there is always next time.
Not to argue that his performance on 17 was a bitter disappointment, but he dues not deserve to be in the Open flight. His score is what he earned and own....just like Schwebby's is. The shoulda/coulda/woulda is a tempting one to play!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
David Tomlinson and I tried to qualifying for Open Flight (David is already in Performance Flight) but those OB bugs bitten us one too many times. That is what happens when one slightly mis throw in very unforgiving course.

I feel bad for Matthew Kuhn (sp?) from Indiana. He was very nice and cheerful guy and was in my group (final card just before 3pm deadline). He was playing very well up to #17. David was shocked that Matthew threw putter like 60 or so feet from tee instead of going for island green, he said he only go for Par. Then instead of going for Par, he threw three straight OB and ended up getting 7 and ending his qualifying round with a 68. Had he gotten a 3 at #17, he would have beaten Brain Schwebby for finally spot with his 64! Man, that hurts! He really deserved to be in Open Flight, oh well there is always next time.
Matthew Kern... I talked to him a bit last night. He was frustrated as that was the hole that cost him last year as well.

Matt's a great guy who drove eight hours Sunday night just to try and qualify yesterday. I was pretty upset that he missed.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Buddy Tritt took like an 8 there a few years ago to miss the qualifying. Doesnt anyone have an overstable sidearm they can put in. Also, if you are playing a few under par and you get to 17... just jump putt down then throw over the bales. it looks like such an easy shot from the layup zone! People never learn.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Buddy Tritt took like an 8 there a few years ago to miss the qualifying. Doesnt anyone have an overstable sidearm they can put in. Also, if you are playing a few under par and you get to 17... just jump putt down then throw over the bales. it looks like such an easy shot from the layup zone! People never learn.
In last year's performance flight, I had a really solid round going until I got to 17. My first two tee shots came up short so I laid up with my third. I then threw two more short before finally finding the green.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 32
For years, David Feldberg would step-putt a short layup on #17 and then throw into the hay bale green.
He will go for it sometimes if the situation demands it.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 38
Wish I was there yesterday...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillim View Post
????= Chandler Fry. WA state Rep.
PROUD OF YOU!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Isn't junior that guy who agreed to split the cash before the playoff then went back on his word after the playoff he won?
Yes it is. Happened at the Cedar Creek Open.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingHP View Post
Yes it is. Happened at the Cedar Creek Open.
We all made mistakes as teenagers. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn't do anything like that again.