Old 10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
I've got a little A.D.D. as well, ESPECIALLY when putting. Going to try the baseball hat maneuver.

I was bad when I was younger with the ADD stuff, but the baseball cap doesn't work for me. It's just another distraction. It's why I grab one single chain link.

FWIW, I can't shoot pool with my hat on either. Took me a long time to figure that one out. I'm about a .650 shooter in our league, compared to about a .500 shooter w/ a hat, as a frame of reference.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Good topic. It's difficult to stay "focused." I find it a lot easier to play catch with an imaginary friend in the fairway, or near the basket, especially a little right so it fades in. For putting, I like the putting phrase concept. Val J. says hers is "REACH." Mine is "COMMIT!"
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Birdie Member

I like music for the mental "reset" after a shot - both good and bad shots. Like someone said earlier....after it's left my hand I have no control over it anymore. Process over result - it works in many ways in life. I've played my best rounds by having the earbuds tuned to really good music, intense focus on each shot but otherwise just looking at the sky or forest around me while everyone else shoots and walks. It kinda pisses some people off but it's my round to shoot.
Remember, you paid to be there, whether it's just gas money to the course, or traveling across the country for Worlds. Good shot or bad shot - forget it and focus on the next shot. Easier said than done....I know. Try some music, hey, it worked for Barry Schultz this year at Worlds!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 22
Brain off, Muscle Memory on. Think about the next shot, not the last.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Good topic. It's difficult to stay "focused." I find it a lot easier to play catch with an imaginary friend in the fairway, or near the basket, especially a little right so it fades in. For putting, I like the putting phrase concept. Val J. says hers is "REACH." Mine is "COMMIT!"
Mine is "Don't be a f***ing p***y this time."

Seriously.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 101
From a mental standpoint personally, I know when I've had great rounds. I don't get excited when I make good throws or putts. Maybe just a small adrenaline rush or a mental pat on the back. Thats it. Its a very unemotional state of mind. Its also boring and I would rather be lively on the course and have fun.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 60
"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella. Short, easy read. It's an older book, you can probably find a copy on Amazon or something for a couple of bucks. He works with ball golfers, but none of his stuff involves technique. It's all about the mental game, and every bit of it translates to DG. This book helped me, as a guy with a low frustration tolerance threshold, to deal with the bad stretches in a round. It's mostly about accepting that you control your thought process and not the other way around, but you have to work at it just like your form. Most people don't have that mental discipline naturally, just like most people can't pick up a Tbird for the first time and launch it 300 ft.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella. Short, easy read. It's an older book, you can probably find a copy on Amazon or something for a couple of bucks. He works with ball golfers, but none of his stuff involves technique. It's all about the mental game, and every bit of it translates to DG. This book helped me, as a guy with a low frustration tolerance threshold, to deal with the bad stretches in a round. It's mostly about accepting that you control your thought process and not the other way around, but you have to work at it just like your form. Most people don't have that mental discipline naturally, just like most people can't pick up a Tbird for the first time and launch it 300 ft.
This book helped me tremendously with my confidence, especially the "aim small, miss small" ideology.