Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
I've seen this guy. He's just trying to get his round in quick when it's super busy I think - can't blame him for wanting to play through. When it happens it feels a bit abrasive but I totally respect his determination to run through the course in like 30 minutes despite the large groups.

First time I was confused and a bit upset but when I thought about it I realized it made sense.

Also when I play alone and no one else is on the course I'll sometimes run after a throw I toss into the woods in order to have a better chance to find it. I also sometimes like to run on the first couple holes to get my blood moving when it's cold. I'm sure someone has seen me and laughed or been confused before though haha.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
My buddy uses this "Speed Golf" as his weekly exercise routine. It can be annoying.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
I don't mind that type of behavior but if I'm in the middle of league play or a tourney and the guy is oblivious to the fact, I'm usually an arsehole about it.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

I remember a guy out at Blue Ribbon Pines that was similar in that he would come up to the pad and ask if he could throw with you and and after a few holes would either back track or move forward to the next group and ask to play again. Longer black hair, dingy hat, kinda scraggly. I have a pic of him too.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces_in_illinois View Post
I remember a guy out at Blue Ribbon Pines that was similar in that he would come up to the pad and ask if he could throw with you and and after a few holes would either back track or move forward to the next group and ask to play again. Longer black hair, dingy hat, kinda scraggly. I have a pic of him too.
I would be interested in seeing this pic. I have played enough at BRP where I am afraid that it might be me. Once or twice I would be out there alone and would want to play as fast as possible so I can get in as much golf as possible. I know that during these such days that I would have to play through a lot of groups, asking quite often. It also means that I would be left to myself to search for arrant discs. Every once in awhile I know I would have to let groups I had played through to play through me as I searched, and then when I found my disc I would eventually catch up and have to play through again.

I would call my hair darker sandy than necessarily black, I have a few dingy hats that I usually wear, and if you catch me between beard trimmings once a month, I can get rather scraggly.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Sounds like he is trying to exercise while focusing on something that doesn't seem like exercise. Sounds like a good idea. There are a couple guys that do this at my home course...but they are going so fast it doesn't affect my playing.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 79
Its called speed-golf. Rarely does it impede play because the dude's running!
If it was a group of 5 or 6 "speed-golfers" then I might have a problem with them playing (running?) through!
Otherwise to me they are like mall-walkers. They arent really hurting anybody!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I would be interested in seeing this pic. I have played enough at BRP where I am afraid that it might be me. Once or twice I would be out there alone and would want to play as fast as possible so I can get in as much golf as possible. I know that during these such days that I would have to play through a lot of groups, asking quite often. It also means that I would be left to myself to search for arrant discs. Every once in awhile I know I would have to let groups I had played through to play through me as I searched, and then when I found my disc I would eventually catch up and have to play through again.

I would call my hair darker sandy than necessarily black, I have a few dingy hats that I usually wear, and if you catch me between beard trimmings once a month, I can get rather scraggly.
I dought its you but I'll post the pic later. Whoever he is, he was nice to talk to. Just unusual
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post

Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces_in_illinois View Post
Not me, but I have seen him at many leagues and tournaments. I do not know his name, however.