Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
A more comparable stat is saying playing fountain hills is like hitting high school pitching, playing maple hill is like college pitching and winthrop gold is against major league pitching. I am shocked that someone hadnt already done that at fountain hills
I think the difference that Chuck is trying to point out is that the rating system does this already. Look at it this way, following your baseball analogy-

Fountain Hills (SSA 48-53.99)= High School Pitching
Maple Hill (SSA 60-65.99) = College Pitching
Winthrop (SSA 66+)= Major League Pitching

The logic in the SSA Ranges is that those scores are what would be expected of a 1000 rated player to shoot. Compared to baseball, you can imagine a particular baseball player, a quality Major League hitter. Let's imagine then, that you had him play each 25 games against those 3 different levels of pitching. Versus the high school pitchers, he would hit a bunch of home runs, still a bunch against the college pitchers (although less than before), and still fewer against the MLB Pitchers. If he hits 75 home runs against the high schoolers, 50 against the college players, and only 25 against the Major Leaguers, that'd be about what you'd expect. Each number of bombs is just as impressive as the previous, they're just looked at differently because of the competition.

The same thing goes for disc golf; a 1000 rated player will shoot a lower score on an easier course than on a hard one, but each feat is equally impressive. If Paul McBeth shot a 45 at Fountain Hills and a 45 at Maple Hill, that'd be like a baseball player hitting 50 home runs against college players and 50 home runs in the majors.

That's how the rating system is designed, because you can't just compare the number of strokes from one course to the next.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 135
i thought Will had an 1100 this year. im ignorant to specifics, but i thought i saw it somewhere.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 135
^ im a dummy the page loaded. he had numerous 1100+ as did nate and nikko. those dudes is freaks
Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
"All-time" started in 1998. No ratings before that for the moment.
"For the moment" ??? Does that mean something is in the works? I would think it would be fairly simple to reverse engineer ratings, although possibly not completely accurate.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Yes. Elves are painstakingly entering manual tournament data into spreadsheets going back to 1983 where available. Once that data is uploaded into the PDGA tournament records, we're going to try and go backwards processing tournament results for ratings. Some of the bigger events will be difficult to accurately process because course layouts played by different divisions may not be available. I suspect it may be at least three more years before we have some rating numbers.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56