Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
I once came across a guy in tournament play who would get himself into this hunched over position like Gollum and gently caress his disc and whisper to it for about a minute each time he stepped up to the tee pad. It was kind of hilarious but when I smirked at him after the second time I saw him he gave me this evil look like I was trying to steal the "One" ring from him! It was quite amusing... weirdest pre-drive routine i think i've witnessed in person.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
Merged threads with a really old thread with a really great video.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangs1 View Post
Oddest one I ever ran across was a couple of years ago. This guy was literally doing a dance before he teed off. He was turning circles, bending over and almost touching the ground while he was "dancing."... really wierd. Like he was doing some sort of crazy Drive Dance to the Disc Golf Gods. He actually threw pretty well I must say.
Was he at Lion's Park down in Shakopee? I think I've seen him before as well. He also has the strangest putting stance I've seen. He uses a straddle stance but faces one foot forward and one backwards.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 44
Zenbot, that guy's routine is very, um, interesting. Lmao.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Was he at Lion's Park down in Shakopee? I think I've seen him before as well. He also has the strangest putting stance I've seen. He uses a straddle stance but faces one foot forward and one backwards.
Bassett Creek in Crystal.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjulio View Post
exactly! I was like.."ahahahahah.....oh.nice shot."
My exact same reaction!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Can't see the vid @ work, but I've seen him on an older USDGC vid.

Same thing...HAHAHAHA...dam, nice. Somebody standing by the camera did a Gollum impersonation during it.

It makes me think of the guy from one of the ball golf majors last year, that kept stopping in his backswing and restarting his pre-shot. He was in contention for the first couple days, but was taking so much crap for the balking, that they "put him on the clock," and he fell away.

Guys on his card were turning their backs on him while he was on the tee, because it was so jerky, so gut-wrenching to watch, probably blowing their flow.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 79
Fully commited to the routine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
Can't see the vid @ work, but I've seen him on an older USDGC vid.

Same thing...HAHAHAHA...dam, nice. Somebody standing by the camera did a Gollum impersonation during it.

It makes me think of the guy from one of the ball golf majors last year, that kept stopping in his backswing and restarting his pre-shot. He was in contention for the first couple days, but was taking so much crap for the balking, that they "put him on the clock," and he fell away.

Guys on his card were turning their backs on him while he was on the tee, because it was so jerky, so gut-wrenching to watch, probably blowing their flow.
That was my video ('09 USDGC http://youtu.be/ErHrLCtOKM0). I wanted to film Steve Rico & Brad was on the same card. The first time I saw his routine I thought he was trying to take his shirt off or something LOL You can see early in my video clip that he starts into his 'act' but has to stop because of pedestrians. You could see him fully in the zone but then he has to snap out of it and wait for the people to clear the path. Then he starts right back up again afterwards. Hilarious but a PITA to film. After a few holes I was able to get his routine down (since it never really changes or gets any shorter lol) & I was able to click the 'record' button at the right time, each time.
Respectfully (I think?) nobody else in the group said anything about it or looked weird or anything! They didnt watch him too much but it didnt seem to bother them either so...
Plus the dude can play! He is an excellent player who I hope to film again!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
Respectfully (I think?) nobody else in the group said anything about it or looked weird or anything! They didnt watch him too much but it didnt seem to bother them either so...
Plus the dude can play! He is an excellent player who I hope to film again!
Well I guess most of the players who have been around awhile know him and how well he can play. So they say nothing.

that routine still looks mighty strange though.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
That was my video
Off topic but, what is up with hole 13? You drive down the whole length of a parking lot and then over the street? That to me has disaster written all over it when new players are out. I'd never park my car near there.

I think just the thought of grip locking one into the parking lot would cause me to have a bad drive and actually do it lol.