Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I just bought a used 166g Icon Patriot in pink and man does it feel different than my 175g Icon Patriot. This plastic feels like the old proline plastic, very gummy and chalky-like. I have a feeling it has something to do with the lighter disc's plastic cooling differently. Does anyone else have lighter Icon that feels this way?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Picked up one of the pearly white 168 Pinnacles last week to fill an understable spot in my bag. At first I was disappointed because it is way more stable than I was expecting, but now I am liking it more and may pick up an Icon for turnovers.

Is anyone throwing these exclusively for fairway drivers? Outside of some fierce wind I could see just throwing Patriots. Seems like it will be longer than any of my eagles will be after they beat in some more.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBMeistor View Post
Picked up one of the pearly white 168 Pinnacles last week to fill an understable spot in my bag. At first I was disappointed because it is way more stable than I was expecting, but now I am liking it more and may pick up an Icon for turnovers.

Is anyone throwing these exclusively for fairway drivers? Outside of some fierce wind I could see just throwing Patriots. Seems like it will be longer than any of my eagles will be after they beat in some more.
One of the really gummy and flat 168 Ivories? I used mine to replace my TeeBird for a while. After about three months of FH rollers with it, it's now flying like my others did when new. That's way too fast of a season cycle for me, but you could cover the stable/overstable to understable spectrum with these if you were willing to collect the right ones.

The Icon I have flies damn near identical to the other FR Pinnacles I've thrown (except the really gummy 168 Ivory). The Legend Pats are supposed to have a higher PLH like the Ivories too so I would avoid them if you don't want that.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
One of the really gummy and flat 168 Ivories? I used mine to replace my TeeBird for a while. After about three months of FH rollers with it, it's now flying like my others did when new.
I imagine just about any disc will lose some stability after three months of FH rolling.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
I imagine just about any disc will lose some stability after three months of FH rolling.
Agreed. I was saying that I was surprised how quickly it seasoned in comparison to the TeeBirds they replaced. My Champ TeeBirds spent a much longer time in their new state in similar conditions with lots of thumbers also thrown in for good measure.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Someone hook me up with a Legend Patriot...PLEASE...
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Agreed. I was saying that I was surprised how quickly it seasoned in comparison to the TeeBirds they replaced. My Champ TeeBirds spent a much longer time in their new state in similar conditions with lots of thumbers also thrown in for good measure.
Gotcha. I imagined there would be some difference between the two. I do believe that some Champ Teebirds are akin to mini-Firebirds. I liken the Patriot to TL, Eagle-L, JLS, etc style of discs, so it would not surprise me if it took longer for a Champ Teebird to beat in.

Anywho, I need to pick up a Pinnacle and/or Legend Patriot.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaiser View Post
I just bought a used 166g Icon Patriot in pink and man does it feel different than my 175g Icon Patriot. This plastic feels like the old proline plastic, very gummy and chalky-like. I have a feeling it has something to do with the lighter disc's plastic cooling differently. Does anyone else have lighter Icon that feels this way?
I had First Run Icon Rivals, one pink 165g and one red 173g and the pink was much softer/gummier/flexier. Red was firm.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM

I wish there was better consistency across Icon Patriots.

I have a red 174g that's flat and gummy/fingerprinty. It flies with a little turn, lots of glide, and a little fade... Like a TL/JLS. I really like this one, and I'm guessing this flies the way Legacy intended Patriots to fly. At least, I hope so, because this might be my favorite disc in my bag.

I have a white 168g that's a little domey, stiff, and a little waxy. It doesn't have much tern (at around 330' of power), and it has a healthy fade for a speed 7 disc.

I'd love to stock up on a few backup Patriots like my red one (flat, gummy, and straight), preferably in the upper 160's... If anyone can make a recommendation on how/where to shop for backups like these, I'd love to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohncandyx View Post
I had First Run Icon Rivals, one pink 165g and one red 173g and the pink was much softer/gummier/flexier. Red was firm.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
have a feeling patriots will weasel their way back into my bag here soon. i keep losing PPD. -____- it will be nice to have something understable back in the bag again for uphill drives/hyzerflips and not having to worry about it fading out. might start with a pinnacle.