Disc Golf Store
Old 02-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
In order to recover against the City at trial, the injured woman will have to prove a "dangerous condition of public property" (Cal. Govt. Code section 835) which includes the following elements:

1. That the City owned or Controlled the property; and

2. That the property was in a dangerous condition at the time of the incident; and

3. That the dangerous condition created a reasonably foreseeable risk of the kind of incident that occurred; and

4. that the city had notice of the dangerous condition long enough to have protected against it.

Based on the follow-up video, it sounds like the City will argue that it had no notice based on the lack of a significant accident history.

Number 4 would seem to be the best defense for the city. There aren't any other accidents of note at that park, and generally, not many nation wide. I don't know if that'll enough. There other places that they could look (complaints to the parks dept and the like)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
i'm guessing they settle out of court
Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 21
I'm not contributing to this thread at all but:

After clicking on a link titled LA . . . I still just assumed it was related to Manhattan NY. Cali isn't allowed to do that. Wait, how many Levittowns are there in the US? Oh yeah

Back to your scheduled programming...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I'm not contributing to this thread at all but:

After clicking on a link titled LA . . . I still just assumed it was related to Manhattan NY. Cali isn't allowed to do that. Wait, how many Levittowns are there in the US? Oh yeah

Back to your scheduled programming...
Wow. Your custom title is so on piont. I could not for the life of me understand what you were trying to say, but then I read your title and it Walsall made sense. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
Number 4 would seem to be the best defense for the city. There aren't any other accidents of note at that park, and generally, not many nation wide. I don't know if that'll enough. There other places that they could look (complaints to the parks dept and the like)
As reported in the Daily Breeze, the plaintiff's attorney provided the newspaper with evidence, in the form of email exchanged between park dep't employees, that the park officials received with numerous complaints over the years concerning disc golfers hitting other park users and cars, and that park officials exchanged emails as far back as 2006 (no more than a year after the course opened, btw) about removing the course or re-routing some of the holes due to those concerns.

Assuming the dates and contents of the emails are as reported, this one looks pretty much a slam-dunk for the plaintiff. It's going to be damnably hard for the city to credibly assert that it DIDN'T know that a dangerous condition existed in the park, or that that it did not have sufficient time to address the condition since it first became aware of the condition.

Heck, I'm not even a lawyer and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but even I could demolish that defense:

[Cross examination]
So, let me get this straight, Mr. City Official: According to Park Dep't records, in 2006--8 years ago: EIGHT YEARS AGO--less than a year after the course opened, the park dep't was already discussing re-routing holes or removing the disc golf course entirely because other park users were getting hit by discs, but you would have us believe that throwing sharp edged discs [pass Champ Katana and Z Nuke around for jury to examine] into or toward crowds of people at 50-60-70 MPH pose no danger to the public? So, Mr. City Official, I take it you wouldn't be concerned in the least if I were to fire one of these in the direction of your granddaughter?

Tell me, Mr. City Official, what has the Park Dep't done in the last 8 years to alleviate the danger to park users? Anything? ANYTHING???? Oh, you've TALKED about it? But nothing else. Why not? You HONESTLY want us to believe that EIGHT YEARS isn't enough time to do anything except TALK about the problem?
[/Cross examination]

In fact, if the Daily Breeze's report is true, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the city's insurer refused to defend the city, negotiate on its behalf, or pay any part of the eventual settlement, citing negligence on the part of the city for its failure to act in a timely manner to remedy a known risk.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
Wow. Your custom title is so on piont. I could not for the life of me understand what you were trying to say, but then I read your title and it Walsall made sense. Thank you.
I reread what I wrote and though I see how it makes no sense to a stranger it still fits my thought pattern perfectly. Also, thank Aim For The Chains for the title (my suggestion and his monies 'cause I'm a broke ass)

I know I was watching news from LA but since I'm from PA my brain told me Manhattan Beach was Manhattan NY..not in California. Bad joke about Cali not being allowed to use Manhattan, then a ramble about Levittown because there's over 100 Levittowns across the country (just looked it up and apparently there is only 4, I swear I read somewhere there was triple digit Levittowns across the States). Derp.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I reread what I wrote and though I see how it makes no sense to a stranger it still fits my thought pattern perfectly. Also, thank Aim For The Chains for the title (my suggestion and his monies 'cause I'm a broke ass)

I know I was watching news from LA but since I'm from PA my brain told me Manhattan Beach was Manhattan NY..not in California. Bad joke about Cali not being allowed to use Manhattan, then a ramble about Levittown because there's over 100 Levittowns across the country (just looked it up and apparently there is only 4, I swear I read somewhere there was triple digit Levittowns across the States). Derp.
Oh, haha. Yeah, I tried to read into it, but it was too cryptic.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Even if it doesn't result in opulling existing courses, it will definitely have parks more than a bit hesitant to consider adding any new courses.
People living around a park where a course was approved here in Pittsburgh, have used this incident in opposition to the course. And it's working. Plans for the course are tabled.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

^^and, it begins. Thank you disc companies for focusing on high speed drivers for the last few years. Haha...

More than half of my discs are high speed drivers, before I realized fairway drivers are good for almost every hole.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
^^and, it begins. Thank you disc companies for focusing on high speed drivers for the last few years. Haha...

More than half of my discs are high speed drivers, before I realized fairway drivers are good for almost every hole.
Dude if I hit somebody in the face with a teebird it's going to wreck them just as badly as a boss.