Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 174
Throwing Style: RHBH
I somewhat agree with making the baskets smaller and limiting the # of discs you may carry for sanctioned tournaments but I think this would have to be a gradual and experimental process initially to ensure errors are corrected prior to full implementation. I think it would benefit more people and the sport than expected with more private and pay to play courses (wishful thinking but $20 or more per day and ensure all funds are put back into the course with a couple of $'s from each round going into a reserve fund to apply to added cash for sanctioned tournaments held on the properties) with par 4s and par 5s similar to the WR Jackson, Stoney Hill and others. I think it would be impossible for Pros to make up the prize money for PDGA events without some help from am registrations and sponsors donating significant funds. Sponsors in other sports like traditional golf (PGA Tour but not mini-tours, European Tour, LPGA, etc.) and professional surfing provide the funds for payouts and they normally are significant. Most PGA Tour players in the top 125 and top 44 of the ASP tour have sponsors that pay entry fees as well that are much more than $80 - $100 and Tiger, Mickelson, Ishikawa and others sometimes get appearance fees of > $1 million to play one event. I could care less if the metric system is used or not and I could care less if jump putts are allowed or not allowed because 95% of ams I have played with that jump putt are terrible at it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Also, I didn't see you make any mention of facilities at all. Do you really expect that a few rules and equipment changes will change the fact that we're playing in public parks rather than dedicated (and expensive) (private/exclusive) facilities?
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
The strikezone in baseball is different for each person depending on their height. Are you going to have baskets that adjust their size?
So much for consistency

Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Seems to me that professional dg tournaments demonstrate that skill levels are sufficiently separated. I don't understand how instituting more rules can be expected to produce a more marketable product.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bacon View Post
Jump putts were illegal with everyone I played with for at least a decade until the PDGA allowed it. Your feet should be on ground when disc is released.
I'd love to see documentation of "jump putts" being illegal and the PDGA deciding to allow it. Looking at the Rules History document on the PDGA website, it appears stepping through after releasing the disc has always been allowed by rule. Also, having to have contact with the lie at release has also always been on the books. So, properly executed jump putts and walking putts (i.e. released while in contact with the lie, no contact in front until after release) have always been legal by PDGA rule.

If you were playing by some other set of (local) rules until a point where the PDGA rules were adopted in your circles, then I guess you might have a point. But if we're only talking PDGA rules, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Of course, I hardly expect a response. Kinda wish I hadn't gotten sucked into posting even this.
Attached Images
File Type: gif -troll-web.gif (9.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
I was surprised to learn that it's a "kids game".

We've been making big efforts to get kids playing, but I had no idea we'd succeeded. I was under the impression that it's still overwhelmingly an adults' game.

Then again, I was surprised to learn that a "sport" is not a "game".
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 30
I'm all for standardized basket height. Basketball players don't have to adapt to a different height basket depending on the court, Football kickers don't have to adapt to randomly sized uprights, etc. Enough with this putting baskets up on poles crap.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
PDGA Numbers 60630 AND 34207

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeF View Post
I'm all for standardized basket height. Basketball players don't have to adapt to a different height basket depending on the court, Football kickers don't have to adapt to randomly sized uprights, etc. Enough with this putting baskets up on poles crap.
This is simply an insane argument... So should all the holes be 300' long since basketball players play on a 94' court and football players play on a 100 yard field (not including CFL).
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeF View Post
Wouldn't that be the same as putting the Hole (for ball golf) in the center of the green and making sure the green is flat on all holes?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 20
One thing that makes no sense to me after watching some tourney videos is how smaller baskets would make the game a better sport. All that will do is limit the range the players try and run the basket and increase the layup shots due to the risk / reward ratio. You already see this affect on windy days (see memorial video) where instead of making a run they just layup on a higher % of shots which isn't exactly great for growing the spectator side of things.