Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
I go by a train of thought that ace pots are a separate consideration from the actual game. If you enter a league night event, and buy into an ace pot, you should get a crack at it every hole, no matter what the format. Your partner getting an ace before you've even had a chance to throw shouldn't negate one of those chances. Splitting the ace money, and determining how you split it, is customary in a lot of places, but its not a rule, unless the league director says that it is.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHFH
Yeah, I play in a couple local doubles leagues and we always allow the second person to attempt the shot. Splitting an ace payout with your partner is discussed before it actually happens, but every person gets the opportunity to ace each hole.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
If a doubles league has an ace pot and only pays the actual partner that aced then that's BS. Like was said above, 2 people are a single team.

That said, I've never heard of a doubles league with an ace pot...and I think it's a dumb idea. Ace pots are better left to singles.
We have an acepot at our weekly dubs and the way we work it out with the ace money is whoever hits the ace gets all the cash. after thats its up to the team to split the winnings. basically before every weekly round the two partners get together and either agree to share the ace money if one of them hits it, or to keep the money if they ace it. ive had partners who like to share, and some who are greedy and dont want to. Most the time the ones who dont want to share are the players who are better than me, which is understandable because they have a better chance at acing than me.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 84
Unless your team is playing a doubles strategy of "both players always go for chains off the tee", not splitting at least some of the ace pool with your partner is a bit of a dick move.

If the ace came on a team's second drive, and the first drive was already parked then it really should be a 50/50 split.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
In Our League:

If you and your partner both ACE the same hole, It will count as a 0 for the hole played.

Not that it has ever happened here.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3j0hn View Post
Unless your team is playing a doubles strategy of "both players always go for chains off the tee", not splitting at least some of the ace pool with your partner is a bit of a dick move.

If the ace came on a team's second drive, and the first drive was already parked then it really should be a 50/50 split.
I don't know. Our local dubs has an ace pot and it's pretty simple. The person who gets the ace gets the money. It avoids the issues of how to split the money. As a matter of fact, my partner one week last season aced a hole. I had no issue with him getting the money, largely because I know the chances of me also acing on the same hole same round are pretty small.

However, we always go out to a local bar for chicken wings after doubles (half off on tuesdays). The general rule with our doubles is the winner of the ace buys the other people's wings. (This rule is not official nor strictly enforced but is encouraged.)
Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 58
That is a poorly worded rule. It says regardless of doubles format. What about worst shot? The second player has to match the ace, or putt, etc.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 58
If the first player aces, the second player cannot possibly improve upon the ace, but they can MATCH the ace to keep the best possible score. The way the rule is worded looks like penalty strokes for every hole-out in a worst shot scenario.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.diablo View Post
That is a poorly worded rule. It says regardless of doubles format. What about worst shot? The second player has to match the ace, or putt, etc.
Exactly - Worst shot has always been that way - At National Doubles one year ar Round Rock - a guy on a team threw it in from about 200 feet for a 2 and his partner instead of just laying up so they both could have an easy putt for 3 tries to run it also - misses everything and it flies through the trees into the water OB - his partner who is now pissed, hits a tree coming back out from the water and it goes in the water again. They took a 9 and I never saw them as partners again in the following years I was at National Doubles.

Worst shot - the format that cements or destroys friendships.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
The "better" score in the Worst Shot format, i.e. the score to be used, is the higher score so the rule is not out-of-step with that or Tough Shot.