Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Par Member

Yeah. If you want a Saint to beat to flippy the "quickest", get a GL. But it still will take some time. Opto is crazy durable.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.2
Courses Played: 24
i didnt realize how seasoned my "go to opto" was, until i threw it in the river and had to drag out my back up, it was pretty beat in.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
i didnt realize how seasoned my "go to opto" was, until i threw it in the river and had to drag out my back up, it was pretty beat in.
I've experienced that with the River and the Diamond as well - they look 9/10 at least, but their flight does change.

Well-seasoned Opto is very nice, especially with a disc like the Saint.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
really? i might have to bust out one of my new ones and compare. i stopped throwing sidewinders and i am lookin to replace the understable spot with a beat up gold line saint but the one i bought is a 8.5/10

its going to take some time
Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Par Member

I know there's tons of info in this thread...but it's so many pages to sift through! I'd just like a general feel of what I should expect. I was looking for the elusive slightly longer/consistent Teebird we dream of.

I picked up a 173g domey (consistent large dome) opto Saint in a raffle type thing as it seemed the best option for me with what was available.

I only had 5-10 throws so far, most were 340-370' all flat release, but it seemed like it was dead straight (maybe a hint of right tracking on HSS but nearly none) and then a healthy fade at the end...but not a fade like a warp speeder. Seems to be good for straight to a dropping fade/hook at the end that doesn't spike.

Is this what I should expect? I see a lot of pro's use the Saint as their flippy driver, and their Saint Pro for straight to fade...but yeah I don't throw as far as them.

Lat64 describes vaguely the Saint as a "faster River", but my opto River is crazy understable (needs aggressive hyzer), I'd rate it as HSS-2 LSS 1 at speed 7. This Saint so far feels HSS "-0" LSS 2 at a speed 9.

Are most opto Saints this straight for HSS?

(I can get my DX Teebird to this distance, but they are slower, and at this distance I expect some turn and the fade is nearly non-existent...it's similar to how a Teebird would fly on a shorter throw)

Last edited by slowplastic; 08-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I know there's tons of info in this thread...but it's so many pages to sift through! I'd just like a general feel of what I should expect. I was looking for the elusive slightly longer/consistent Teebird we dream of.

I picked up a 173g domey (consistent large dome) opto Saint in a raffle type thing as it seemed the best option for me with what was available.

I only had 5-10 throws so far, most were 340-370' all flat release, but it seemed like it was dead straight (maybe a hint of right tracking on HSS but nearly none) and then a healthy fade at the end...but not a fade like a warp speeder. Seems to be good for straight to a dropping fade/hook at the end that doesn't spike.

Is this what I should expect? I see a lot of pro's use the Saint as their flippy driver, and their Saint Pro for straight to fade...but yeah I don't throw as far as them.

Lat64 describes vaguely the Saint as a "faster River", but my opto River is crazy understable (needs aggressive hyzer), I'd rate it as HSS-2 LSS 1 at speed 7. This Saint so far feels HSS "-0" LSS 2 at a speed 9.

Are most opto Saints this straight for HSS?

(I can get my DX Teebird to this distance, but they are slower, and at this distance I expect some turn and the fade is nearly non-existent...it's similar to how a Teebird would fly on a shorter throw)
your opto will beat in to have less HSS and that fade will go away fast.
Yours is behaving the way it does becuase it's domey, compared to flat saints... Flat saints mimic rivers moreso and can be hyzerflipped nicely. The Saint Pro's i have fly like regular domey Saints, but don't lose that finishing fade. At 350ft distances, for me Saint Pros go ultra straght 300ft then fade hard without ditching into the ground. At 350ft distances, my regular seasoned saints (opto or GL) need a fair bit of hyzer to land straight out or finish with fade. Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 26
I'm about 280-300 with the Saint (opto 170ish), and it flies as advertised for my power - stable. I can rip it with OAT and it will fight out of it every time. 148 Air Saint flies for me like regular Saints do for more powerful arms, and that will turn and burn.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
your opto will beat in to have less HSS and that fade will go away fast.
Yours is behaving the way it does becuase it's domey, compared to flat saints... Flat saints mimic rivers moreso and can be hyzerflipped nicely. The Saint Pro's i have fly like regular domey Saints, but don't lose that finishing fade. At 350ft distances, for me Saint Pros go ultra straght 300ft then fade hard without ditching into the ground. At 350ft distances, my regular seasoned saints (opto or GL) need a fair bit of hyzer to land straight out or finish with fade. Hope that helps.
That does, thank you. I was happy it was domey because I was expecting it to make it more stable like this.

I hope it doesn't lose too much of the HSS and LSS, but even if it turns into a less-touchy River that wouldn't be a bad thing. Is a PD kind of similar to how you would find a fresh domey Saint like this (but more long term holding this type of stability)? From your description the Saint Pro may still be too much for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 81
Saint pros are more like spd's or cpd's. At 350ft they fly great. Suggest trying them.

Fwiw... I ounce back and forth between bagging solf/qolf and saint/saintpro combos all the time. Spd/cpd should be pretty similar.

Last edited by jrawk; 08-05-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Par Member

Cool, thanks. I'll get a better feel for this Saint and if it starts getting too much turn then I'll have a few options for a stable/overstable counterpart to balance it out. I throw lots of neutral stuff so it was nice to have something a bit more stable that I could just throw flat and know it wouldn't ride over.