Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
I just broke my distance record earlier today. Blizzard Boss went 370. And I was throwing into a 20 MPH headwind.

I also threw my MVP Inertia 350.

I'm still doing tons of things wrong but just keeping my shoulders stacked over my hips makes a big difference. I was throwing monster hyzers 325-330 and usually I can only get good distance with straight line shots. I actually had some control on those too. They weren't just grip and rips although I was trying to throw it straight but they still landed near where I was aiming.

I did find a different type of hit or an addition to it. I was just trying different things with my good posture and I went slowly hips, shoulders but when I got to shoulder I actually turned them along with my core with power. The core turn was little a little explosion. I snapped around incredible fast. I've never felt that kind of insane speed during a throw. I don't even know if I actively pulled my arm. That first time my Wraith went on a laser very low into that headwind and went about 340. A good throw but that weird shoulder snap turn actually kind of threw me off.

I started trying to get it again and had a big problem with starting to turn stuff way over. I think trying to get that core snap/turn was causing me to roll my wrist or I was trying to hard to stand up straight and ended up puffing my chest up causing an anny. I started making sure I was pulling the disc level and my body was centered. Really focusing on keeping my head centered and NOT looking at my disc helped a lot. Just concentrate on the throw.

The next thing I know I get that core turn snap. My Boss goes out and up and keeps going. It starts to slowing barrel roll right before starting to fade back. But instead of really fading out it more just came back flat. It went over a hill I've measured at 350. When I got to the hill I saw it had gone about 20 feet further.

Farthest throw ever. Until tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 26
Good stuff.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Birdie Member

Congrats!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Eagle Member

Played one of my home courses today. Bradford. I usually shot around 5 over there. My best is 2 over. I shot a 11 over today. The bad news the wind was fierce, my putting sucked, I had a birdie attempt hit the band roll 20 feet back down a hill and another 20 feet down a large cliff/ditch surrounded by boulders and rocks.

I also got stung by a bee on a par putt right when I putted. Hit the band. Does that stroke still count? Is there bee interference in the PDGA rulebook? We also saw two snakes.

The good news is I was throwing farther than I ever have on this course. By a good 20-50 feet. I still need a lot of practice but just keeping my posture and shoulders stacked over my hips and not letting my shoulders get out in front of my hips is all I was doing.

Two things amazed me. How far the disc was going and NOT hard I was throwing it. It was too hard to keep my body stacked and on the same plan while adding any type of power or snap or anything. Every time I trying to add some power, wrist snap or anything I'd get out of alignment and disc would go weird places.

It's suddenly very easy to see how a 140 lb skinny guy or girl could throw 400 feet. Can't wait to practice some more.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 12
Nice! That is awesome. I hope to follow in your footsteps and start throwing far with better form. Sorry to hear you got stung by a bee while putting. That's rough. I got stung by a yellow-jacket once during a round. My brother's bag literally got swarmed by yellow-jackets and then a few got on our dog, and I got stung trying to get them off the dog. Nature was angry that day, my friend.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Two things amazed me. How far the disc was going and NOT hard I was throwing it. It was too hard to keep my body stacked and on the same plan while adding any type of power or snap or anything. Every time I trying to add some power, wrist snap or anything I'd get out of alignment and disc would go weird places.
I can second that - over and over I get my best results at 80%. I have no OAT issues, I have better release point accuracy, etc.

Throwing hard is trouble I don't need.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Sometimes I hate this game. Well, not really but geez can it get frustrating.

1st throw - 200 uggg.
2nd throw - 300 better.
3rd throw - 340 alright!
4th throw - 290 wtf?
5th throw 305 what am I doing wrong?
6th throw - turn and burn
7th throw - see 6th throw
8th throw - 350....waaaaay to the right
9th throw - 275 I hate this game....

Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Sometimes I hate this game. Well, not really but geez can it get frustrating.

1st throw - 200 uggg.
2nd throw - 300 better.
3rd throw - 340 alright!
4th throw - 290 wtf?
5th throw 305 what am I doing wrong?
6th throw - turn and burn
7th throw - see 6th throw
8th throw - 350....waaaaay to the right
9th throw - 275 I hate this game....
Man, that's one looong hole!