Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Would You pay extra money for a higher donation to a charity?
Yes 30 46.15%
No 35 53.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'd probably be more inclined to enter a tournament held specifically for the purpose of raising funds for the charity... don't ask me why, I just would.
me too actually. i am more inclined to enter the ice bowl than i am if they sold ice bowl discs for a dollar or two above retail.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'd probably be more inclined to enter a tournament held specifically for the purpose of raising funds for the charity... don't ask me why, I just would.
I have one charity on my mind that I have toyed around the idea of doing a tournament for. It sounds like a really interesting idea to me as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscTosser View Post
I see what you're saying, but For-Profit businesses that make social differences, such as Sevenly, are becoming more and more popular. Basically it doesn't really matter why people are buying the product, it's if they are buying the product.
I agree, I have some friends that are releasing "Bulletproof Souls" on Monday. Very similar concept. I just like to gauge whether or not I will donate to a cause by asking, if I weren't getting anything from it, would I still give?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 36
I think someone needs to throw a charity tournament for Russ martins fallen police and fire foundation. He could advertise on his show and I bet a 1000 people would show up.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfire25 View Post
I think someone needs to throw a charity tournament for Russ martins fallen police and fire foundation. He could advertise on his show and I bet a 1000 people would show up.
Maybe, but I would prefer to keep this a broad subject of charities and not get into particular ones. I'm sure all of us would prefer a different charity.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
If I feel I inclined to support a charity, I'll do so directly...and then take the tax write off. I never add on to my purchases for charity.
Agreed. Although moreso than the tax issue, I want to know what the charity is doing with the money (particularly what proportion actually goes to the benefit of others/cause and what proportion gets eaten up by administrative stuff).

Not all charities are efficiently run, some blow money on BS like expensive advertising and unsolicited mail outs. :/
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 44
When I buy a disc, I buy the one I want. When I donate to charity, I donate to the causes I support. Keep 'em separate.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 186
I am a cynic, so no. I think this kind of stuff is usually just marketing crap. I would compare the idea to all the pink stuff we are forced to see, buy and hear about. Christ, if all that money went to breast cancer research, it would have been cured years ago. I understand there are legit charities, but as far as I am concerned they are in my neighborhood, and the best thing I can donate is my time and compassion. Sorry to come off as a deek, but I think this is similar to the recent "green" disc golf bag thread.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 37
I will buy a disc if some percent went to charity vs. a disc at the same price with no charitable contribution. That said, like the others above, I'd prefer playing in a tourney raising funds for a good cause: win-win is even better with that extra added fun factor.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
I will buy a disc if some percent went to charity vs. a disc at the same price with no charitable contribution. That said, like the others above, I'd prefer playing in a tourney raising funds for a good cause: win-win is even better with that extra added fun factor.
Could you enlighten what percent you would like? Not ignoring the tournament comment, just interested in what would be worthwhile to you to be donated.