Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 44
Disc makers market share

Has anyone ever seen a description of Disc Golf Discs market share?
I think I can "guess" the top three, but I am not sure about where companies like Gateway, Quest, and DGA fall.

1. Innova
2. Disccraft
3. Lighting
4. ???
5. ???
6-10. ???
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
I would think that gateway would take fourth considering how they have been trying to flood the disc community with their products. However, I do see DGA rising in stock and eventually may compete much closer with some of the other companies.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Birdie Member

I was also wondering about 2 and 3. I know that most of us would prefer Discraft to Lightning but I have never see Discraft selling in any stores where I have seen low priced Lightning Discs right beside Innova in several places. If anyone working at Marshal Street or any other shop reads this It would be interesting to hear their input.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 PM

What about Millenium? I would think Millenium may even be over Lightning at number 3, but if not then probably fourth. I don't know about drivers, but Millenium makes really good floppy putters, at least.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

The reason that I bet that Lightning is higher than we think is because I think that their distribution might be higher in stores. I could be wrong but I think that a huge percentage of discs are purchased by very casual players that do not search any further than Dicks, Sports Authority, or the shop that might be close to their course. Also Lightning discs seem to be cheaper than any other discs and this would be a draw to the first time player. We know that Innova is number one, and If you go to an online store like Marshal Street I think it would be safe to assume that Discraft would be two. I do think that online stores sell a disproportionate amount of Gateway and Quest and possibly Millenium than what is sold across the county. One thing that would blow my theory all to hell would be if online sells account for a higher percentage than physical location sells.

I guess another thing to consider is that a hardcore player will have at least 10 times as many discs than a casual player. For example I have 8 putters (6 gateway Wizards) and many people I have met just putt with their Shark and have never heard of Wizard putters.

Too many freaking variables....
Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
I would bet that most discs are sold online. Of course I could be wrong. It has happened before.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:44 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 130
We will never know. Innova does not disclose sales figures, nor do any of the other companies for that matter. Without those, even the manufacturers themselves are guessing.

Dave McCormack (who owns GDS) once said that he thinks that Innova holds a staggering percentage of the market, to the tune of 80 to 85% of all discs sold. Discraft holds about 10%, and all of the other companies duke it out for the 5-10% of the market that is left. I'm not sure what he based this off of, but that was his speculation.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:53 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 130
Forgot the mention...we all think of Discraft as a disc golf company. From what I understand, they sell a ton of Ultra-Stars, Sky-Stylers and Sky-Pros. A guy who knew a guy who worked for Discraft told me they sell more Ultra-Stars than all of their golf discs combined, which I'm not sure I believe but at any rate they make a lot of money on disc sports other than disc golf. So while Innova may be kicking their butts in disc golf sales, Discraft still makes a healthy living off disc sports.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:56 AM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if discraft sells more ultrastars than basically all other products combined. I play ultimate too, and it's the only acceptable disc for most players. Every college and club player has close to a dozen if not more lying around. They sell them by the hundreds to tournament directors, too.

Anyway, I have also really only seen Innova dominate the bigger department store/sports chains. And Innova sponsors all the best pros other than Nate Doss. That must count for something right?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:58 AM

Actually, I kind of wonder what the regional distribution is, too. In Texas it seems like its all Innova all the time. Millenium is also an Austin based company, I think, which may be why I mentioned it earlier.