Disc Golf Store
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 27
My first tourney - May 31st

I will be participating in the Trilogy Challenge in Lodi, CA (Micke Grove Park) on May 31st. This will be my first ever attempt at a tournament and I am very excited. I have been playing less than a year and still have some improvements to make in my form and game overall. Though I may not win the prize pack, I feel that if I can at least be competitive, I should have a great day.

What tips can anyone offer for the first time tourney player?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntsygamr View Post
I will be participating in the Trilogy Challenge in Lodi, CA (Micke Grove Park) on May 31st. This will be my first ever attempt at a tournament and I am very excited. I have been playing less than a year and still have some improvements to make in my form and game overall. Though I may not win the prize pack, I feel that if I can at least be competitive, I should have a great day.

What tips can anyone offer for the first time tourney player?
That's a total casual event. Don't worry about winning.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
Worry once you're in a sanctioned tournament.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 57
Try to get there early enough that you're not rushing around. Take some time to practice a few putts, and maybe even see if the TD needs help getting set up. I usually show up pretty early and it seems like there is always something to help with.

If you haven't played that course yet and it is close, try to get in a couple of rounds before the tournament. It helps to have an idea of how the holes play, best lines, etc.

Most of all, relax. You'll have some good shots and some bad ones, but at the end of the day you are there to enjoy yourself.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Bogey Member

I realize that this is a fun tournament, but everyone wants to play well and feel good before, during and after the round. The course is close, about an hour drive from me, so I plan to play it in a week or so. I have played there once before, but the conditions were very bad. Windy, cold, wet...not great playing weather. End of May, it will be primo conditions for playing. Rolling start at 8:15-11:00, so I plan on getting out there as early as possible to get all set up and ready to play.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Just have fun and warm up good. Finish with some short confidence building putts. I don't know anyone who plays better when they are uptight and worried so just relax and remember to have fun.

If you do win you're in store for a sweet prize. I'm loving my soldier bag and 9 new discs to help fill it won't hurt either.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
1.Don't worry about making a fool of yourself, everyone makes mistakes. I've seen pros miss 5 ft putts because they weren't focused.

2. Focus. Line your shots and putts up and throw when you're ready. Don't rush. You gotta want it.

3. Have fun and learn something!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 116
Might want to avoid a hole with disc-loss potential during your warmup. A lost disc during warmup raises my stress level, especially if I don't find it. I've learned this the hard way a couple of times. Then I end up rushing around trying to get where I need to be, and may have to play without one of my key discs.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 9
I think that most people would agree with me that the most important thing to do/not do for your first tournament (or your 100th for that matter) is to not freak out/get stressed out, and don't try too hard! You know exactly what you are capable of, and that's exactly what you need to do. When you get up to throw your first time and think "I'm gonna try to chuck this so I get an extra 20-50'" your gonna grip lock, or slip, or do something else foolish. Don't do anything different than you would normally do, you know your limits and your own skills. The only other thing I can tell you is HAVE FUN!! you'll have more fun if you play well and if you play well you'll have more fun!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Bogey Member

Having fun is the main objective! Having to use the discs that they supply for the Trilogy challenge is going to be the hardest part. Being new discs that I have not thrown or that I am use to is the hardest part. This being the first of three of the same tournaments that I will be playing in, the other two should be a little better once I learn how to throw the discs they are using.

The course is fun to play. Flat, light on trees (for the most part) and water comes into play on the last three holes in the form of a large pond. Getting around the water and not losing my driver, mid or putter will be the hardest part of the whole thing for me.

I appreciate all the tips and I am looking forward to this being the first of MANY tournaments for me.