Disc Golf Store
Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I wonder how feasible it would be to Amtrak to a course out of state, anyone ever tried this?
Probably less expensive and less time by plane. Amtrak can be expensive especially if you get sleeping quarters.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Probably less expensive and less time by plane. Amtrak can be expensive especially if you get sleeping quarters.
Last I checked, it was far easier/cheaper to take an Amtrak train to rural Pontiac, IL than to fly there.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashwa View Post
Last I checked, it was far easier/cheaper to take an Amtrak train to rural Pontiac, IL than to fly there.
If an Amtrak route just happens to pass through Pontiac on the way to somewhere else, that wouldn't surprise me. If Pontiac was nowhere near an Amtrak line, but near a city with a major airport, that would change the equation drastically.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
If an Amtrak route just happens to pass through Pontiac on the way to somewhere else, that wouldn't surprise me. If Pontiac was nowhere near an Amtrak line, but near a city with a major airport, that would change the equation drastically.
Actually Pontiac does happen to have an Amtrak stop, but the point of my comment is that air travel may be cheaper for some destinations, but there are plenty of destinations where that isn't the case.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashwa View Post
Actually Pontiac does happen to have an Amtrak stop, but the point of my comment is that air travel may be cheaper for some destinations, but there are plenty of destinations where that isn't the case.
Usually those destinations are the ones where taking either a train or flying is more of a PITA than its worth though. You'd might as well drive there and save the last mile headaches.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 99
Take the train into Toronto and then the ferry to Toronto Island all the time.

Excellent day trip.

If you get the chance do it, as the island course will not disappoint
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleOfDoom View Post
If they ride the rails, they're hobos.
A hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond—especially one who is penniless. Unlike "tramps"—who work only when they are forced to, and "bums"—who do not work at all, "hobos" are itinerant workers. From Wiki.

The last time I looked into the price of a train it was for a trip from Mn to Florida. It would have cost more for the train than a first class flight and it would take over 48 hours longer.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 132
I wouldn't see it as a problem if it's convenient. It's just public transportation, just like bus, subway, or taxi. I hope to join nifty fifty someday. Two weeks ago while we were visiting NYC, I took the train to New Brunswick, and then caught the Rutgers shuttle bus to the university and played that little course there. Then came back to NYC. I figure I'll be in New York state again someday, but while my wife was out shopping at Herald Square I could take the time to check off another state. I actually spent more time between the subway, the train, and the shuttle, than I did on the course.