Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
When I got my Switch it didn't fly very understable for me because I was throwing all my discs a bit nose up. Now when I've adjusted my throw and I can throw my discs nose down pretty well, I can get a lot turn out of it and it definitely IS understable. I got rid of it though because in a headwind it got too flippy, and even in calm conditions I couldn't control it very well. With a flat release it turned a lot, but with hyzer release it often just kept the angle and didn't flip up when I wanted.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Oops

Last edited by Toro71; 04-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
Is the switch just too much overlap with the Amp for you? Seems like the switch ought to be more control able and maybe even fly nearly as far for lower power throwers?
FWIW I am bagging both right now. Got a 172 ish Amp, fairly seasoned, and a pretty new 168 Switch.

I think what you're saying is probably true. I throw a bit further than BigSky I think but not a ton more. At full power I can hyzerfilp the amp well past 300. Oddly at the same power, I get the same or even a bit less turn out of the switch, but it's pretty new still.

Powered down for me, the Amp can be pretty straight where I'll still get a bit of turn, like flex shot style, from the Switch.

I think the Switch can be different discs based on weight max vs. 165ish vs. 155ish.

Didn't really answer your question. There will be a fair amount of overlap. But, if you bag a heavier Amp and a lighter Switch, you'll probably see enough difference to justify carrying both, definitely.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Birdie Member

I have a hard time getting my amp to hold a turn all the way to the ground, it always seems to have a bit of a fade. I had a couple sweet flex shots with it last night. It was beautiful.

I am hoping a light switch will hold a turn all the way to the ground. I was thinking of bagging a heavy as well for more controlled straightshots when distance is not as important. Using the Amp for straight distance, Inertia for max straight distance, and distance annys.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 37
yea a switch in lighter weights would probly serve you well on those turning shots. With just a bit of snap and flat or slight anhy release, it holds a nice turn for me, even up hill. The inertia you may want to get in the mid 160g's if you want it to hold the anhy line. it does have some fade on the end for lesser power throws.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 37
Man I'm gonna be like a zombie crashing a party when/if they release a 12speed inertia/amp type disc...
Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
There is overlap, no doubt. The Amp is longer, and a bit more stable.

I feel like the reason I don't bag both is more because of the open courses I play and not so much the discs themselves. I need D, so whatever gets me the longer throw is what I'm going to use.

If you're trying to carve lines on the woods, the Switch would definitely be a great disc to try. It's quite controllable, and easier to get the anny line from than the Amp.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
There is overlap, no doubt. The Amp is longer, and a bit more stable.

I feel like the reason I don't bag both is more because of the open courses I play and not so much the discs themselves. I need D, so whatever gets me the longer throw is what I'm going to use.

If you're trying to carve lines on the woods, the Switch would definitely be a great disc to try. It's quite controllable, and easier to get the anny line from than the Amp.
That makes sense. My home course is mostly wooded and <350.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
I find the Amp and Switch pretty similar in flight, and in weights around 172 when fresh, not all that understable. The Amp is a little longer and has less fade right now being more seasoned. They can both hold a turn for a while but definitely want to flex out.

In the speed 9 category I get much more predictable turn from a tournament Hatchet than the Amp. My Switch is very new and not at all seasoned so it may lose some fade quickly after a few good tree hits. Right now my new Switch flies like a heavy opto River with more fade.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
I have a hard time getting my amp to hold a turn all the way to the ground, it always seems to have a bit of a fade. I had a couple sweet flex shots with it last night. It was beautiful.

I am hoping a light switch will hold a turn all the way to the ground. I was thinking of bagging a heavy as well for more controlled straightshots when distance is not as important. Using the Amp for straight distance, Inertia for max straight distance, and distance annys.
I've got a 162 and a 165 in my sale thread right now if you're interested. I found the Switch and Amp to overlap a bit at my power level, but I got much more control from the Switch. It's also sneaky long.