Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
.....and if it doesn't remain open, I'll add it to the long list of closed private courses that were among my favorites, played or on my wish list, and repeat my somewhat self-serving refrain:

Cherish and support your local private courses. You never know how long you'll have them.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Odds are you're right....but for those who play it, and who dream of playing it, I offer the Trophy Lakes story to lift your spirits. Our spirits.
I, for one, appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
.....and if it doesn't remain open, I'll add it to the long list of closed private courses that were among my favorites, played or on my wish list, and repeat my somewhat self-serving refrain:

Cherish and support your local private courses. You never know how long you'll have them.
I've never even seen a private course.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Didn't the Ozark property get sold recently, and also keep their courses?
Not only are they keeping the courses, but they are planning a lot of improvements that were never possible under the previous owner like full time availability, improved camping areas and better tees.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I've never even seen a private course.
I was going to say that, if you ever get to South Carolina, I'll show you one. But, since you're in Louisiana, I'll skip that and say, Fuel up the tank and head to Selah Ranch, while you still can!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 63
Quote:
I was going to say that, if you ever get to South Carolina, I'll show you one. But, since you're in Louisiana, I'll skip that and say, Fuel up the tank and head to Selah Ranch, while you still can!
I agree. I made a trip to Selah coming from the Ft. Buhlow courses about a month ago and it's not a far trip at all. Make the trip out there!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Oh, no question it's possible -- I was just making my guess. If it were me buying the place, it would be strictly a business decision. Does the money generated by the courses (greens fees, cart fees, disc sales, and probably most importantly -- lodging bookings) outweigh the cost of maintenance (mowing, carts, pro shop, etc.). And not just outweigh, but outweigh by enough to make it worth it.

However, I think there's a good chance the new owners won't even bother to consider it. There's also the consideration that the disc golf traffic (and clientele) is driving away other lodging business, which would certainly fall on the negative side in a big way.

Of course there's always the chance it swings the other way and an enthusiast buys it, or simply someone willing to overlook the reality of the finances (if they're not net positive).

It's obviously not black-and-white. You have bookings for 4 days for people like me, who are there STRICTLY for the golf. But for all the non-golf-only bookings, is the existence of DG a value-add or a value-subtract? Tough call.

Didn't the Ozark property get sold recently, and also keep their courses?
Pretty much how I see it.

Also to add to the equation is that they are selling 1,000+ acres. The Inn, Coral House, Disc Golf Courses, etc only use a fraction of that. So the buyer is really buying two different things (Improved Land & Lots of unimproved ranch land).

I was just there last weekend and was surprised by how few people I saw on the course. It is a great destination place (the best or close to in the entire nation), but might be just a little to far from a major market to get the needed daily players to make full business sense.

We have reservations to go back in late October. Hope we get the chance to go.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Not only are they keeping the courses, but they are planning a lot of improvements that were never possible under the previous owner like full time availability, improved camping areas and better tees.

and they seem to be pretty enthusiastic about the courses there too.

the night i drove in for the Fall Harvest last year, i ran into the new owner's sons (i think) and they said the courses were staying and they seemed pretty stoked about the whole thing. and the new owner had great things to say at the player meeting too.

they also have plans to build a paintball course and a bunch of other outdoor activities on the remaining land as a draw to bring in more people.

good to hear they are planning better tees. that is the one drawback to that place and probably the only reason the Ozark Mtn course doesn't have straight 5 ratings.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl724 View Post
I agree. I made a trip to Selah coming from the Ft. Buhlow courses about a month ago and it's not a far trip at all. Make the trip out there!
Buhlow is where I play weekly. Heading to Selah July 4th weekend.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
I was planning to play there in late July with my brother who lives in DFW