Disc Golf Store
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 24
I'm perplexed by the Patriot. I got a max weight Icon Patriot that flies like a Eagle-L, though I'm not complaining and like it a lot, however, at what weight does the Icon fly more like a Leopard?

My assumption is that from 170 to 175 they are going to be about the same, perhaps a little more glide with the low 170's. Below 170 is when they will throw more like Leopards, am I correct?

My experience is that they will probably beat into Leopard like flight and don't start out that way (unless it is the first run), thus they aren't necessarily a Leopard clone out of the box.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
I'm perplexed by the Patriot. I got a max weight Icon Patriot that flies like a Eagle-L, though I'm not complaining and like it a lot, however, at what weight does the Icon fly more like a Leopard?

My assumption is that from 170 to 175 they are going to be about the same, perhaps a little more glide with the low 170's. Below 170 is when they will throw more like Leopards, am I correct?

My experience is that they will probably beat into Leopard like flight and don't start out that way (unless it is the first run), thus they aren't necessarily a Leopard clone out of the box.
i think it's more a matter of time and wear than weight. i have 2 icon patriots and 1 pinnacle and it's only after some beating did the icons turn into sweet turnover discs. my pinnacle is still pretty new so i use it for those eagle-L lines.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian j View Post
i think it's more a matter of time and wear than weight. i have 2 icon patriots and 1 pinnacle and it's only after some beating did the icons turn into sweet turnover discs. my pinnacle is still pretty new so i use it for those eagle-L lines.
You were crushing the Pinnacle in Paw Paw.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 37
yeah my Patriots arent what i would call understable.. mine started out closer to like some have said Eagle-L flight not Leo.. now that it has seasoned in a bit my pinnacle is now like a faster Leopard flight.. long and straight with a gentle predictable fade at the end of its flight .. i have some light weight icons but havent tossed them yet .. been trying to beat this Pinnacle in more and more.. its just about in the buttah spot .. oh how i love my Patriots lol
Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
You were crushing the Pinnacle in Paw Paw.
lol... i'm still lovin' that pinnacle. i birdied 2 wooded holes at burke lake on sunday that i'd never birdied before. time to start hording backups.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian j View Post
lol... i'm still lovin' that pinnacle. i birdied 2 wooded holes at burke lake on sunday that i'd never birdied before. time to start hording backups.
Too bad you didn't try to get the other two matching ones I had on me.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 28
Just found a legend patriot at my local store so I had to get it. This disc can take a ton of power on a hyzerflip and it just goes straight without fade forever.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 25
My 166g Icon Patriots are quite US from day 1. When my form is right (not often), it's a thing of beauty to watch it fade right on those holes that people complain about them being "lefty friendly".
Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger45 View Post
My 166g Icon Patriots are quite US from day 1. When my form is right (not often), it's a thing of beauty to watch it fade right on those holes that people complain about them being "lefty friendly".
hmmm i may have to give my icons a shot .. i have a matching set of 164g but they are blank whites that i wanted to get a dye on before i throw them .. but your post makes me curious .. sounds like it would be perfect since my pinnacle arent flippy enough for that shot yet ... that's what i have been using my Mongoose for but its a lot faster

Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 24
Anyone else feel like the Patriot is a good, stable workhorse driver? I do. Granted, they aren't as stable as a Teebird, yet they are more versatile.

I was ripping them pretty good tonight in the field. Thrown flat they would turn and come back a little. Thrown with more hyzer they would flip up and turn a little and come back. The red one I got rode an anhyzer pretty well and fought back just a little at the end.