Disc Golf Center

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Bag Suggestions & Feedback

View Poll Results: How would you rate this bag?
This guy needs help! 2 8.70%
Some good choices, I'd make some changes 10 43.48%
Looks pretty good, maybe try this suggestion 8 34.78%
I wouldn't change a thing 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 31
Rate My Bag

I carry a F.A.D.E. Crunchbox. Been playing seriously for about a year. My scores playing pro par range from around +2 to +12 depending on the course.

Putter
165 Innova Aviar X2

Midrange
180 Innova Star Mako-Long Range Straight Glide
180 Innova Star Shark-Long Range Glide, Light Break to the left
175 Discraft Z-Buzzz-Stays where I put it, Thumber Disc

Fairway Driver
168 Innova Champion TeeBird
175 Innova Champion Banshee-Thumber Disc, Sidearm Disc
167 Innova DX Banshee-nicely beaten, use on high risk holes instead of Champion Plastic

Distance Drivers
172 Innova Pro Destroyer X2-Main Drivers, Sidearm Disc
168 Innova Star Wraith-Overstable Driver
171 Innova Pro Wraith-Control Driver
168 Innova Pro Wraith-Sweetly Beaten In (Turnover Disc), Straight Finish
172 Innova Champion Roadrunner-Straight in
Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 27
Looks like you've got a nice set-up and can cover yourself with either FH or BH shots, so you don't necessarily have to worry about have a full range of under-overstable discs.
If I was to make a suggestion, I always recommend Valks if I don't see people carrying them...to me it's just one of the sweetest discs out there.
Also, I used to throw Wraiths myself, and found myself switching to a Surge SS once I threw it. I've also heard that the DGA Rogue is the same disc as well but that DGA has the best plastic...that's what I've heard, never thrown one myself.

And maybe think about an understable mid....Coyote or Stingray?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 185
BroDave beat me to it...understable mid...I also would suggest Stingray or maybe Coyote, although there might be a bit of overlap between the Mako and a Coyote...I've thrown my buddy's Mako a few times, and it seems like it would be pretty Coyote-ish after breaking in a bit.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not a bad setup. Here's my suggestions:

1) Mako/Buzz- pick one. They are going to be treating you the same, and you might as well just get used to one mold, unless you don't care to carry overlaps. But since you asked about rating your bag, I'd say chuck one once you get a feel for which one you like better.

2)You have a lot of big distance drivers, which can be great. I would think that it wouldn't hurt to get is a utility driver that isn't a speed 11- Like BroDave said- maybe a valkyrie, or, which I think are better for bouncing between backhand/forehand: Champ Viking. Very stable driver that can be put on just about any line (with driver speed, of course) and hold it.

3) Also to "third" BroDave- an understable mid. I'd say beat in some Pro D Buzzes, which would compliment your Z Buzz (esp. since they are more understable to start), giving you the same rim on more of your discs. Until then, maybe a DX stingray so you know what they would be treating you like.

4) Not sure if you play in much wind, but didn't see anything that you have that stay's overstable WITH a headwind: champ Firebird etc.And same with mids- something like a Drone I guess- distance control in headwind.

Thanks for posting!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
BroDave beat me to it...
Beat you to what?

I'd get heavier putters and reduce those super fast drivers to about nil, you've been playing a year or less, chances are you can't throw them yet. Stick with them fairway drivers and add a Viking or Valk or similar speed disc for distance.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 47
It would be nice to know how far you can throw forehand and backhand.

Generally speaking, players that have 1 year experience likely don't have the arm for speed 10+ discs, meaning destroyer, wraith are not likely getting up to cruising speed. you also state your roadrunner is a "straight in" disc, meaning you aren't getting it up to the proper speed, since it is a very understable disc.

You're mids do seem to overlap. Buzzz Z is a favorite of mine, and I also carry a mako, so having overlap isn't a huge deal, but would as others have mentioned get more range in your mids (meteor for an understable and a drone for overstable).

Mids could be:
Meteor - understable (great understable disc, but might not be needed if throwing backhand/forehand)
Buzzz (slightly understable, main utlity disc, hyzers, annys, etc)
Shark (if you like it, no reason ot change it. it swap it out with a Wasp, which is a little faster and longer)
Drone (very overstable mid, skip shots, can flick as well instead of anny shots)

For fairway drivers I'd say get a leopard. it's a great fairway drivers, great for newer players and experienced players, or perhaps a Z Stalker, long fairway driver,very straight with minimal fade.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 31
I throw 300 pretty consistently forehand and 250-300 backhand.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 73
Like BrotherDave said, I know a lot of people (myself included) that fancy heavier putters. I guess the mentality is so the disc has more umph and won't bounce off the chains but plow into them and get caught up.

I'd also second Jukeshoe's recommendation to get an understable mid. I've thrown quite a few and a Stingray or Stratus is probably a pretty good choice. If you prefer something more domey, then perhaps a Kite. I've found these to be very useful in shaping lines in a more tightly-wooded environment.

If you're throwing roadrunners straight, then you could probably benefit from an understable fairway driver. Seeing as the Banshee is pretty overstable and the Teebird is a good utility fairway, you may want to consider a Leopard, TL, XL, or XS.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewf View Post
Looks like you've got a nice set-up and can cover yourself with either FH or BH shots, so you don't necessarily have to worry about have a full range of under-overstable discs.
If I was to make a suggestion, I always recommend Valks if I don't see people carrying them...to me it's just one of the sweetest discs out there.
Also, I used to throw Wraiths myself, and found myself switching to a Surge SS once I threw it. I've also heard that the DGA Rogue is the same disc as well but that DGA has the best plastic...that's what I've heard, never thrown one myself.

And maybe think about an understable mid....Coyote or Stingray?
Nailed it

Also, throw heavier putters, like jukeshoe said...

Old 04-23-2010, 02:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsjunkie View Post
Putter
165 Innova Aviar X2

Midrange
180 Innova Star Mako-Long Range Straight Glide
180 Innova Star Shark-Long Range Glide, Light Break to the left
175 Discraft Z-Buzzz-Stays where I put it, Thumber Disc

Fairway Driver
168 Innova Champion TeeBird
175 Innova Champion Banshee-Thumber Disc, Sidearm Disc
167 Innova DX Banshee-nicely beaten, use on high risk holes instead of Champion Plastic

Distance Drivers
172 Innova Pro Destroyer X2-Main Drivers, Sidearm Disc
168 Innova Star Wraith-Overstable Driver
171 Innova Pro Wraith-Control Driver
168 Innova Pro Wraith-Sweetly Beaten In (Turnover Disc), Straight Finish
172 Innova Champion Roadrunner-Straight in
Do you ever drive and approach with the Aviars? I'd probably be flipping them a lot with the way I use my putters so I thought I'd ask. They probably work fine for actual putting though. If you don't drive and approach with them you should.

I'd get rid of all your mids except the Buzz. I don't think there's anything the other 2 can do it can't. I've thrown all 3 quite a bit.

I'd ditch the Banshees and just use the Teebird myself. In fact I'd take out your whole distance driver section and play with your Aviar, Z Buzz and Teebird. I don't mean to sound rude but at the distance you're throwing even the Teebird is going to be a lot of disc, much less the wider rimmed discs you have.

I think you'd benefit from playing with just the 3 discs I listed for a few weeks. I'd say try this setup:

Aviar: Everything under 150 feet
Buzz: Everything between 150 feet and 250 feet
Teebird: 250+ feet