Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
IMO everyone need a Teebird in their bag lol
Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlock09 View Post
The FH disc is definately one I think needs to be added to my bag. I was looking into the Starfire and would like to know your thoughts on the disc as well as plastic type and approx weight for me.
Starfire is speed 5 on Joe’s Flight Chart (minimum distance 325 – 375’). With a reasonably clean throw, the Eagle and Buzzz should be excellent forehand discs. Work towards being able to throw everything in your bag forehand as well as backhand.

Slower drivers are your friends. Trying to throw faster drivers may cause you to mess up your form. Ask me how I know this.

Quote:
I know that many of my discs may be too heavy for me RHBH and honestly dont know how similar weights of BH and FH discs should be.
You may wish to try some lighter drivers, maybe mid-high 160s. Lighter discs should fly farther than their heavier brethren while sharing similar flight characteristics. As an experiment, try throwing the same disc in different weights to see what works best for you.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Also what are some good ways to work on fixing OAT?
The best way to fix OAT is to practice driving with putters and midranges. They will fly much farther than you think, but they will turn and burn if your throw isn’t clean. Try to keep all of your throwing motion on the same plane, and avoid rolling over your wrist at the end of your throw.

A great way to learn is to find a local league or course where you can watch and talk to more experienced players.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah, what Monocacy and jdggna said is how I feel.

If you really want to be FH savvy, then a slower driver like an Eagle will better suit you to reinforce good habits, but if you're only going to FH occasionally when the shot calls for it like I do, I think a Starfire works well b/c it's not too fast and overstable that you can throw it like a complete torque monkey but it is fast and stable enough that if you accidentally turn it over it'll still fade back. Generally, the flatter the more overstable I've noticed for Starfires. I like them in Star, never thrown Champ, I just like Star's grip a little better.

I think a River and definitely a Fuse will benefit you. Mids and putters are better for working on form basically b/c they're slower and require more snap and spin to fly true, drivers can be strong-armed easier which is a no-no. A slow, understable driver like a River or Leo is definitely worth tossing in the field though b/c you can work on annys, turnovers, and hyzer flip lines and learn to control nose angle b/c mids and putters don't mind being thrown nose up as drivers do.

An Avenger SS would overlap with a River or Leo for you right now.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
The best way to fix OAT is to practice driving with putters and midranges. They will fly much farther than you think, but they will turn and burn if your throw isn’t clean. Try to keep all of your throwing motion on the same plane, and avoid rolling over your wrist at the end of your throw.
I have a quick question whose answer may help me and the OP.

I have a 168g DX Shark that is starting to get a little wear and a 175g S Wizard that is pretty nicked up but still flies fine. A full throw with the Shark will carve out an extremely small s-curve (mostly straight) out to about 270' or so if I get the height right. The Wizard under the same conditions (but a little higher) will make it out to about 250' or so with the smallest s-curve imaginable, almost undetectable. Is this any indicator of the amount of OAT generated by my form? I haven't got the Summit in the mail yet, so that will possibly be more telling.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
OAT is seen by your disc fluttering or wobbling initially in flight or by a disc turning too hard too soon into the ground. Spyderpride, it sounds like your form is relatively OAT free, you might just not be getting enough height on those discs.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHFH
I agree with all these guys, I've been play for over 4 years, and I still am not consistent with anything faster or more extreme then a beast. As you get better with your eagle and can rope it 300-325, throw the avenger or beast back in there. but stick with a fairway driver like your eagle early on, or if you dont like it, a teebird or cyclone. Shark was my first midrange, and I still use it today, though the roc is my mine disc now. buzz is solid. I just started using ions and you cant go wrong, welcome to the sport!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Slower drivers are your friends. Trying to throw faster drivers may cause you to mess up your form. Ask me how I know this.
well i guess i have to ask
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Par Member

Quote:
well i guess i have to ask
I know it too. You body instinctually "learns" how to keep them straighter with OAT. Then once you throw slower discs, you turn-and-burn. Then you spend several excruciating weeks or months relearning how to throw without OAT.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Generally, the flatter the more overstable I've noticed for Starfires. I like them in Star, never thrown Champ, I just like Star's grip a little better.

An Avenger SS would overlap with a River or Leo for you right now.
I'm looking mainly for a driver to FH just when the situation calls for the shot at this point. I have had fairly good success with the shot and feel like my BH needs more work right now.

I was thinking the SS would overlap with the River at this point, thanks for the confirmation.

A friend owes me some money from the last time we went to the local disc golf store so I'll be picking up some new discs tomorrow: the fuse, river, starfire. I will update on how they work for me and will be sure to, as always, thank you all for all the help.