Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to SirWalter
Need Help with Drivers

I have been throwing my mids almost as far as my distance drivers and i need help on how to increase my distance. I think it is because my arm speed might not be fast enough and that I should probably step down to some 155-163g drivers but wanted suggestions on if this would be a good idea or not.
When I forehand my drivers now I can get some pretty good distance up to about 350ft but backhand which I am working on only about 250-275ft which I can get my buzz out to 225-250ft.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 108
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
What drivers are you throwing?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Par Member

175g Stalker, 175g Beast, 175g Leopard, 167g RoadRunner, 175g Wraith (mainly forehand shots except when I practice), 175g Whippet (only use in glow tourneys and hard turning shots.)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Not bad, Walter. for Backhand, keep working that stalker and leopard. You could benefit from dropping down to lighter weights, between 165 and 170. But all of your current drivers can reach 300+ feet with proper form. Strength/arm speed isn't your bottleneck.

Other discs to work on form: Teebird, Core (lat 64), Apache (Gateway)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 108
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
Sounds like the most likely cause is either snap or form. It's really hard to say without seeing you throw. You probably should go with some lighter weight stuff, its going to go farther with less power behind it. Also start with some slower/understable drivers, leopards, stingray, stratus, something like that. Question for you, have you watched any of the discraft videos or the dan beato video. Those are great training tools and really help a lot of people on here tighten up their form and gain distance, I am one of them.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWalter View Post
I have been throwing my mids almost as far as my distance drivers and i need help on how to increase my distance. I think it is because my arm speed might not be fast enough and that I should probably step down to some 155-163g drivers but wanted suggestions on if this would be a good idea or not.
When I forehand my drivers now I can get some pretty good distance up to about 350ft but backhand which I am working on only about 250-275ft which I can get my buzz out to 225-250ft.
I don't know **** about FH but for your BH throw I'd say keep working the Buzz. Stalker and Leopard can be your BH "distance drivers" for the time being. The best way to get feedback on your BH throw would be to post a video.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Par Member

Thanks a lot everyone, I will be sure to take a look at those videos and use everyone's advice. I will have to get out on a large field soon and just have a practice day instead of practicing while playing so i can take the time to look at my form and adjust when needed. I also definitely need to work on snap. Are there any good videos for snap out there that you suggest.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWalter View Post
Thanks a lot everyone, I will be sure to take a look at those videos and use everyone's advice. I will have to get out on a large field soon and just have a practice day instead of practicing while playing so i can take the time to look at my form and adjust when needed. I also definitely need to work on snap. Are there any good videos for snap out there that you suggest.
IMO there's not really a magic key for obtaining snap, it's a combination of performing specific parts of a DG throw correctly. However the part of the throw the I think most strongly relates to snap is late acceleration. You can go through the x-step incredibly slow, it's only that last .25 seconds of the throw that matter when it comes to speed. Be smooth and comfortable up to the hit, and explode right as you come to it.