Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 22
Never Judge a Book by its Cover

So, today I finally forced myself to go play a small 4 hole course about 40 minutes from my house. The review pretty much said the course was terrible and with only 4 holes I didnt have much hope. Well after class I headed out to the course. When I got there there were two young guys throwing discs on the first hole. Well it turns out they had just started playing 2 weeks ago and I was able to give them some tips and encouragement. Then a local father of a boy scout came over and siad that he was looking the course over because he was planning to bring out his son's troop out to play tomorrow. Well after talking to him and the guys for an hour or so I was asked to come back down and teach the troop how to play DG. The gentleman also said that the township may be reworking the course and adding some holes, since his son was interested in doing it as his Eagle Scout project. By the end the gentleman asked me if I would be interested in helping redesign the course. So what I was thinking would be a pointless trip actually turned into a great opportunity to generate some interest in the sport. (btw, the course was as bad as the review said )
So the point of this rant is this: never miss a chance to share the love of the sport with people who may not really know about it, and also dont be too good to go play the not so great course in your area ... you might be able to do some good!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 81
Good thing you left the bong at home.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
Congrats! I hope it works out for you, the boy scouts, and the course. Keep up the good work.
DSCJNKY
Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton
Wow, that's fantastic. Good luck on designing the course!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
The Boy Scouts took on my local course as a project, and did some really nice work. The course is in the woods, and they laid logs and branchs along the ground between the holes making well marked trails. It looked great.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
sounds like the benefit worked out in your favor. maybe after your done with redesigning it the review will go up.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via AIM to NauticalUrge Send a message via Yahoo to NauticalUrge
That's a great story! It's people like you that truly make a difference in spreading the love of disc golf!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Are you talking about Wilson Farm Park? I haven't played it, but in spite of the reviews it's on my wish list. It's only about 10 minutes from where my brother lives and so when I visit him this Summer I'm hoping to hit it and encourage my computer sloth brother to play the game with me. I figured that it would be a perfect opprotunity to get him out on the course with me without taking him somewhere like Tyler. I haven't played there either, but will when he's at work.

Great work by the way. And I bet that the kids will appreciate the heck out of your help. And they'll probably think it's really cool how far you can throw.