Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Big B's Bag

I think I've made it to the point where I'm pretty comfortable with my bag without soliciting feedback, but figured it probably wouldn't hurt to let everyone take a look and speak up if they see any issues. I have thick skin so nit pick away.

Average controllable distances shown first followed by the longest throw I've ever had with the disc on flat ground (control notwithstanding...raw max D). Not that it probably matters, but I throw from a standstill (no run-up).

Distance Drivers
168 Star Wraith - Stable Driver (320/360)
175 Star Wraith - Stable Wind Driver (315/355)
168 Star Valkyrie - Understable Driver (325/375)
175 Star Valkyrie - Understable Wind Driver (315/360)
175 DX Valkyrie- Water Hazard Driver (315/360)

Fairway Drivers (Primary Drivers)
175 Star Firebird - Strong Wind Driver, Tommies/Specialty/Meathook Throws (280/325)
172 E-Pro Assassin (New) - Stable Driver (300/325)
172 E-Pro Assassin (Seasoned) - Straight Driver (305/330)
172 E-Pro Assassin (Beat) - Understable Driver (310/335)

Mid-Ranges
171 Star Gator - Overstable Mid (200/225)
178 Z Buzzz - Straight Mid (250/300)
170 Star Stingray - Understable Mid (260/310)

Putters
175 Star Aviar - Drives and Approaches (220/250)
175 R-Pro Aviar - Primary Putter from 60' and closer

I'm not totally in love with the Firebird, but I got better results out of it than I did the Star Max that I used to use for the same throws. I have a bunch of other options including:

FLX Predator (multiple weights)
Z Flick (171)

Fire away.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 102
Looks good, well-thought out bag there. I probably wouldn't go with anything faster than those Wraiths at that D, that's pretty good from a standstill. I've never thrown any Assassins, that's a nice, personal touch right there. If you want something beefier than the FB I suggest a xXx, but then again it only comes in Opto and you don't appear to be a fan of the champ style plastic.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Thanks BroD. Not necessarily looking for anything beefier than the Firechicken, just curious about what else is out there that is similar.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
I'm assuming you want to throw farther. If not, then you can disregard what I'm saying. It looks like a decent bag for someone who's happy with those distances.

I'd pick something slower for your fairway driver. The Assassin is cool because you'll get good distance out of it with minimal effort, but my understanding is that it can be speed sensitive. It might be hard to tell the difference between getting a really good rip and getting an OK rip with OAT. Discs like Cyclones and Gazelles can take 400'+ of power and still be controlable, so if they're not performing well you know it's you and not the disc. They also perform well at 320' of power, so they'll be useful over a wide range of distances.

I'd also cut down on the number of mids you have. Learn to do everything with the Buzzz.

I don't know much about the FLX Pred, but in general, Preds seem to be longer than Firebirds yet easy to control for spike hyzers, too. I'd recommend either the Firebird or Pred over the Max or Flick.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 AM
*Super Moderator*

Actually, I could use a better wind driver in my bag than the 175 Star Wraith. There is one course near me where there is always a left-to-right wind on tees 1 and 14, and a constant headwind on 13 and 16. The wind is especially strong on hole 1 (375-400'), and even when I throw the Wraith on a heavy hyzer, it still gets blown off to the right.

Given my throwing style and the distances I detailed above, is there another long-range driver that does a better job cutting through the wind that I'd be able to handle? Would it make more sense to try using the 175 Star Firebird on these holes or would it be too much of a meat hook for me?

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Discs like Cyclones and Gazelles can take 400'+ of power and still be controlable, so if they're not performing well you know it's you and not the disc. They also perform well at 320' of power, so they'll be useful over a wide range of distances.
You knew this was coming....good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I'd also cut down on the number of mids you have. Learn to do everything with the Buzzz.
Maybe use your Stingray occasionally until you get a Buzzz beat-in, for when your really need a big turning/anny shot, but I have to agree with trying the Buzzz in as many situations as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
Given my throwing style and the distances I detailed above, is there another long-range driver that does a better job cutting through the wind that I'd be able to handle? Would it make more sense to try using the 175 Star Firebird on these holes or would it be too much of a meat hook for me?
One thing you could consider is an OLF, Striker, or PD. While these are slower than your Wraiths, they are more stable in design. I've even found that with my Destroyers (of course, I have some that are very stable,too) they can blow over a bit in stronger winds. I've thrown all of these molds into moderate headwinds with success. FWIW, the OLF has the Firebird wing. You could, in essence beat one in, add another and so on and replace your Valks with a "happy" stable driver that could give you more control at higher speeds.

Another thing to consider is a lighter Firebird. 175 is alot to snap, but a 168-170 may be a touch easier to get up to speed. Personally, I do better with slightly lighter stable discs, then trying to use heavy weights to gain stability. IMO, the weight doesn't make it more stable, it doesn't allow you to get it up to speed, giving the illusion of stability.

As a note, I know nothing about the Assassin as to the possibilites of overlap with my suggestions.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
One thing you could consider is an OLF, Striker, or PD.
The Avenger and Starfire-X in upper grade plastics are good, too.