Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.-Dut-._ View Post
Hyzer-flipping is when you start the disc on a hyzer line and the snap and power of the throw causes it to flip up to flat and then drift to the right or stay straight. Great for distance shots and very accurate for tight fairways.
Is this done with a massive understable disc? Not sure how I can throw on a hyzer line and have it flip up and then drift right
Old 03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jace View Post
Is this done with a massive understable disc? Not sure how I can throw on a hyzer line and have it flip up and then drift right
It is done with an understable disc. You've got to torque the disc enough to get it above its intended cruise speed to get it to "flip". Putting the disc on a hyzer angle is what keeps it from "flipping" completely. You use a hyzer angle and a disc used for an anhyzer throw to achieve a straight result.

Conversely on a flex shot, you do just the opposite to do the same thing.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jace View Post
If you're still pretty new to disc golf, then yes, you'd have to use a massively understable disc, like a Stingray or Stratus, to execute a hyzer flip. But big arms throw hyzer flips with Wraiths and even Destroyers.

I'm not very good at hyzer flips myself, but I do sometimes hyzer-flip my Sidewinder, when I have to hit a gap slightly to the left and then go to the right AFTER the gap. The disc starts out flying left, comes up flat, and then -- because it's a Sidewinder -- keeps turning rightward.

Last edited by Adam Schneider; 03-24-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 42
You guys have me intrigued! I've been playing with stable discs - hence the confusion of flipping. I'll have to pick a couple more discs up to try out and see how they can better the game for me! THX!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 50
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._
Its a very nice shot to have once you get it figured out. It also helped me tremendously when it came to learning how to get my weight forward on my throws.

Likewise, the flex shot seems to be the "easiest" way to get distance. What I am just now learning is how accurate it can be for approach shots using a overstable mid/putter such as a Roc/Wasp/Pig.