Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 6
Best courses around southern indiana

I had such great luck with my last post about west pa that i thought id start this one. Im lookin for the best courses to travel to from southern indiana area. Ive played all the courses in bloomington and im looking to expand. Ive looked into makin the trip to kentucky to play idlewild but thats about it. Any ideas on where to head out to first? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
I really enjoyed Patoka Lake, and Old English is right near there and gets great reviews. The Louisville area has some fun courses, I like the Fun Farm for some nice variety. If you do get out to Idlewild, make sure you hit Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy, they're both also in the Cincinnati area and are great courses, many like Lincoln Ridge more than Idlewild.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I really enjoyed Patoka Lake, and Old English is right near there and gets great reviews. The Louisville area has some fun courses, I like the Fun Farm for some nice variety. If you do get out to Idlewild, make sure you hit Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy, they're both also in the Cincinnati area and are great courses, many like Lincoln Ridge more than Idlewild.
Those are all excellent courses. Patoka Lake costs a few bucks to get into the park but its an all day pass. If you're considering Old English, you have to make a tee time especially during the weekends. If you're going down towards Evansville be sure to hit up Mesker Park, that's a fun one. A little bit further around Owensboro has got Yellow Creek and Vastwood. Both of those are worth the trek, in my opinion. Check out the PDGA schedule if you want to play some tournaments in that area. The Flying Pig (B-tier) in Cincy is next weekend Aug 28 and 29, The Charlie Vettiner Open (A-tier) is the following weekend Sept 4 and 5, and the Patoka Lake tourney (B-tier) is the week after that on Sept. 11 and 12. Good luck with your travels.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 297
I'd consider Louisville,KY in your southern Indiana playing range. Last month I played the 2 L'Ville courses plus Freeman Pk in Elizabethtown, KY which was even better, before my drive to northern Indiana.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to skottyb
Come on down for the Patoka Lake Marina Open on Sept 11/12, it is Patoka Lake 2 rounds and Old English 1 round. Nothing is better than playing a 13000 ft course and using a golf cart. If you need details send me a PM, I am the TD...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 78
You like wooded or open courses? Looking at your location on the map...have you played the Boy Scout course in Frankfort, IN yet? It's really new and raw...especially from the pro tees...and in a tournament it really beat me up because the pro tees were very raw and the angles were tough for someone that has never played the course...but with some seasoning that course is going to rock. Is Mississinewa State Park too far north for you in Peru, IN? I really love that course as well. Old English is great...the Fun farm is nice...and Mesker in Evansville, IN is one of my favorite short courses. I live exactly halfway between Idlewild and Banklick...errr...Lincoln Ridge and I realize how lucky I am...but I also love traveling and playing premiere courses in other cities. I personally love Charlie Vettiner...and while it is a long way to go...Freeman Lake is home of one of my worst tournament rounds..but that was all me...the park itself is wonderful.

You can't go wrong with any of those courses...if you ever come to Idlewild and need a guide...just PM me and I'll be happy to assist as long as my work schedule will allow...that being said....off to Idlewild I go....
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
If you're in the area don't pass up the chance to go to Charlie Vettiner.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHFH
The new layout of Iroquois Park in Louisville,KY. I played it a few weeks ago,check out the course page. I took some pictures,Timg posted them (Thanks Again) nice course and it's only about half finished. Don't get me wrong,it's still playable. The club is still installing TONS if mulch.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Those are the exact courses I'm playing this weekend. Friend of mine lives in Richmond, In and we're camping the weekend in KY. I can't wait.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnagal View Post
Those are the exact courses I'm playing this weekend. Friend of mine lives in Richmond, In and we're camping the weekend in KY. I can't wait.
Awesome, have a great trip, those are some fun places to play.